Dandelion

Posted by Markus Jais on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
One from yesterday. Was looking for butterflies and colorful flowers when I saw this dandelion.. I liked the leave of that other plant "growing out" of the dandelion and the surrounding vegetation.

EOS 1DX, EF 3.5/180L Macro, tripod
1/13 sec, f6.3, ISO 200

I tried several different f-stops but I like the one with the aperture relatively wide open because here the background is not too sharp but still recognizable.

Markus

Posted by:
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
Member #:01791

by wtracyparnell on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:08 pm
wtracyparnell
Forum Contributor
A very nice composition with excellent detail and a good exposure.
W. Tracy Parnell
Comments on my images are greatly appreciated!

by PaiR on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:34 pm
PaiR
Forum Contributor
Great use of the lower thirds to place the spent Dandelion. I like how you handled the background here.
Ram
A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into~Ansel Adams

by Bill Whala on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:26 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
Excellent choice of DoF. Wonderful detail in the seedpod. Excellent image.
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

by CactusD on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:10 am
CactusD
Forum Contributor
Location: Ideally, halfway up a Greek mountain, or in the northern British landscape; otherwise, Banbury, UK
Very cool - agree with your comments.
btw, are you using the Arca geared head for this? I'd like your opinions since it may be on my xmas shopping list!
"The Sun is God."  J. M. W. Turner

Large Format Photography Website

by Markus Jais on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:20 am
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
CactusD wrote:Very cool - agree with your comments.
btw, are you using the Arca geared head for this?  I'd like your opinions since it may be on my xmas shopping list!

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I use the Arca D4 head for almost all my landscape/macro work. Only when I use the 4/200-400L IS 1.4x for flowers (which I do more and more) I use a Wimberley II.

The D4 head is great. Not perfect but I think it is better than anything else I've seen.

I can highly recommend the D4 head. The flip-lock is a bit strange but so far it works. But not as flexibly as other styles. 
I would probably use the "classic style" instead of the flip-lock variant right now. 
The best is the Acra-Tech which is a combo of both styles but Acra is not Arca and they do not offer a D4 style geared head.

Make sure to get the geared version, not the classic one. The geared version with the extra knobs is what makes this a fantastic head.

Overall I am very happy with my D4 head and don't regret buying it despite the high price.

Make sure to get an L-bracket. Without one it is no fun with lenses that don't have a tripod collar like my EF 4/16-35L IS and EF 2.8/24-70L II (amazing lenses!).

I use a custom fit 1DX L-bracket from Kirk. See my comments at the end of this thread:
http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 7&t=246273

Markus

by CactusD on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:31 am
CactusD
Forum Contributor
Location: Ideally, halfway up a Greek mountain, or in the northern British landscape; otherwise, Banbury, UK
Markus Jais wrote:
CactusD wrote:Very cool - agree with your comments.
btw, are you using the Arca geared head for this?  I'd like your opinions since it may be on my xmas shopping list!

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I use the Arca D4 head for almost all my landscape/macro work. Only when I use the 4/200-400L IS 1.4x for flowers (which I do more and more) I use a Wimberley II.

The D4 head is great. Not perfect but I think it is better than anything else I've seen.

I can highly recommend the D4 head. The flip-lock is a bit strange but so far it works. But not as flexibly as other styles. 
I would probably use the "classic style" instead of the flip-lock variant right now. 
The best is the Acra-Tech which is a combo of both styles but Acra is not Arca and they do not offer a D4 style geared head.

Make sure to get the geared version, not the classic one. The geared version with the extra knobs is what makes this a fantastic head.

Overall I am very happy with my D4 head and don't regret buying it despite the high price.

Make sure to get an L-bracket. Without one it is no fun with lenses that don't have a tripod collar like my EF 4/16-35L IS and EF 2.8/24-70L II (amazing lenses!).

I use a custom fit 1DX L-bracket from Kirk. See my comments at the end of this thread:
http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 7&t=246273

Markus

Thanks for that.  I happily use a Manfrotto 410 but am always interested in newer (and seemingly more expensive!!) gear.
"The Sun is God."  J. M. W. Turner

Large Format Photography Website

by Markus Jais on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:39 am
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
The 410 is great. Have used it for years. But it had problems with the 1DX as some lenses wouldn't allow vertical shooting with a tripod collar as the 1DX would touch the 410. The camera is too big.

If you have a 5D III or a D800 or anything smaller than a 1DX the 410 will do. The Arca D4 is smaller and in my opinion better but I may not have upgraded if it weren't for the 1DX.

Markus

by Matthew Pugh on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:10 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

A pleasing image - I like the layered effects crafted by the DOF, and the comp certainly pull sit all together well

All the best
Matthew

by Tom Whelan on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:45 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Fine composition - the dandelion detail is eye-catching.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

10 posts |