Moonflower After Rain

Posted by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
A Moonflower with rain droplets from yesterday morning. A favorite flower of Georgia O'Keeffe's to paint.
Nikon D700, Nikon 200f4 Micro, f13@1/200 sec., +1/3 EV, cropped square.
Copyright Joe A. Roybal
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor

by Tom Whelan on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Beautiful flower, fine DOF and drop details.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by Matthew Pugh on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

This close shot of this flower look very effective within the square format that you have chosen to show us - nicely thought out and good upon the eye

All the best
Matthew

by PaiR on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:41 am
PaiR
Forum Contributor
I just learnt this week elsewhere that Datura is also referred to as Moon Flower and Jimson Weed.

As good as it gets --> pin sharp focus and water drops adding more interest.
Ram
A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into~Ansel Adams

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:07 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
PaiR wrote:I just learnt this week elsewhere that Datura is also referred to as Moon Flower and Jimson Weed.

Thanks for your comments! This flower can be seen all over NM. It is highly poisonous, including the seeds, but some crazies use it to get high!  It does go by many different names.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by PaiR on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:12 am
PaiR
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
PaiR wrote:I just learnt this week elsewhere that Datura is also referred to as Moon Flower and Jimson Weed.

Thanks for your comments! This flower can be seen all over NM. It is highly poisonous, including the seeds, but some crazies use it to get high!  It does go by many different names.

Joe
Joe, Correct. Legend says that Kings in India used some concoction of Datura on messengers to temporarily disable their vocal cords so that confidential information could be safely passed. 

When I got Mumps when I was a kid, my Mom used the traditional medicine therapy of applying hot paste made from the leaves of Datura to the area near the ears which showed swelling. It worked --> not sure how much contribution came from Datura  :lol:

Interesting plant. 
Ram

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:47 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
That's interesting! I transplanted three Datura plants to Santa Fe from Truth or Consequences, NM around 1990. Two survived and spread their seed to other parts of the yard where I grew up. This is one of those newbies. What's really cool is to watch them in the evening when they open up. They literally unfurl before your eyes in a very short time. It would be pretty easy to do a time lapse of this if one wanted to.

Joe

by Vasanthi Balson on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:00 pm
Vasanthi Balson
Forum Contributor
PaiR wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:

Joe
Joe, Correct. Legend says that Kings in India used some concoction of Datura on messengers to temporarily disable their vocal cords so that confidential information could be safely passed. 

When I got Mumps when I was a kid, my Mom used the traditional medicine therapy of applying hot paste made from the leaves of Datura to the area near the ears which showed swelling. It worked --> not sure how much contribution came from Datura  :lol:

Interesting plant. 

Nice one! Joe.  The droplets makes this special.

Interesting info Ram
"When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it's your world for the moment.
 I want to give that world to someone else."
-Georgia O'Keeffe

Last edited by Vasanthi Balson on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

by PaiR on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:17 pm
PaiR
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:That's interesting! I transplanted three Datura plants to Santa Fe from Truth or Consequences, NM around 1990. Two survived and spread their seed to other parts of the yard where I grew up. This is one of those newbies. What's really cool is to watch them in the evening when they open up. They literally unfurl before your eyes in a very short time. It would be pretty easy to do a time lapse of this if one wanted to.

Joe
Absolutely agree. I made one photo of that swirl shown here-link
Ram

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:00 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
PaiR wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:That's interesting! I transplanted three Datura plants to Santa Fe from Truth or Consequences, NM around 1990. Two survived and spread their seed to other parts of the yard where I grew up. This is one of those newbies. What's really cool is to watch them in the evening when they open up. They literally unfurl before your eyes in a very short time. It would be pretty easy to do a time lapse of this if one wanted to.

Joe
Absolutely agree. I made one photo of that swirl shown here-link
I had never seen a yellow one. Here's what ours look like:
Joe

by Jonc on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:23 am
Jonc
Forum Contributor
V.nice clean/crisp image

11 posts |