Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by D7avid on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:41 pm
D7avid
Forum Contributor
I recently purchased a canon pro 9000mk2 and am happy with the tesults.The one exception is it seems to take 10 minutes to set itself up..prints fairly fast after it finally makes it.I have a lot of Epson paper left over such as Semigloss colorlife and was wondering if anyone has any ideas about equivalent profiles between platforms

by Mark Picard on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:06 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Are you asking if you can run Epson papers through your Canon printer? Yes, of course you can - just download the ICC Epson profiles from their site for those papers into your computer so that PhotoShop ,Lightroom, Elements, etc. can read them.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Steve Cirone on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:41 am
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Be careful if your old paper stock is way different in thickness from what came with your new printer.

After making many prints I was very happy with, I have personally ruined many printers by forcing extremely thick Hanemuhl Etching Board through them.

Of late I have had great luck sticking with the same brand and recommended papers and inks. Not that you can't mix it up, just be careful or you might end up like me with a wrecked printer.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by Corey Deards on Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:23 pm
Corey Deards
Forum Contributor
I would not use the Epson ICC profile, it is designed to use the Epson ink, printer, and paper. Using it with the Canon printer and ink will most likely give different (possibly very different) results.

I have exactly the same situation, lots of Epson paper and a newer Canon Pro 9000 MkII. I searched for ICC profiles for the Canon with Epson paper and was unable to find anything. The best fix would be to use a spectrophotometer, something like the Colomunki, to generate your own profiles. That would give you the ability to generate an accurate profile for most any paper and ink combination.
Corey Deards
[b]The shortest distance between two points is........grossly over rated![/b]
[url]http://www.deardsphotography.com[/url]

by Mark Picard on Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:15 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Corey Deards wrote:I would not use the Epson ICC profile, it is designed to use the Epson ink, printer, and paper. Using it with the Canon printer and ink will most likely give different (possibly very different) results.

I have exactly the same situation, lots of Epson paper and a newer Canon Pro 9000 MkII. I searched for ICC profiles for the Canon with Epson paper and was unable to find anything. The best fix would be to use a spectrophotometer, something like the Colomunki, to generate your own profiles. That would give you the ability to generate an accurate profile for most any paper and ink combination.
+1
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by D7avid on Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:09 pm
D7avid
Forum Contributor
Yikes! this is getting waaaay too complicated for me.Since I'm pretty colorblind I'll just have to use my wife as the colorimeter(hmmm sounds a bit odd)..but I guess I'll just muddle through till the paper is gone or I run out of money for ink.Thanks to all I will start from the epson ICC and hope its close.Gee you would almost think the two big printer companies want to make it difficult to use the others stuff

by Royce Howland on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:18 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Do NOT use the Epson ICC profile for a Canon printer. As stated above, those profiles are designed for a radically different design of printing head and inkset. They are unlikely to produce good results for you. The first most important thing in choosing a printing profile is to get one actually designed for your printer. Failing that, for a printer that is a close sibling (e.g. the Epson 7800 & 9800 are close siblings of each other for purposes of profiling). I'm not sure there are any particularly close siblings of the Canon 9000 Mk 2, unless it's perhaps the Mk 1.

The next best option if you can't find a profile matching printer (or close sibling) and paper, is to find a profile matching the printer and a very close paper. For example, Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl was a very close match to Epson Premium Luster, and profiles for Smooth Pearl and Premium Luster could be interchanged with relatively little noticeable difference. Unfortunately that's a poor example for me to choose since Ilford went out of business and their web site is defunct, so no profiles from them are available to consider.

But you get the idea -- matching the printer (or close sibling) is the one priority, matching the paper (or close sibling) is the second priority. Matching either one but having the other match be way off will not help you. The point of printing in a colour managed workflow is actually to use profiles designed to manage colour. Using profiles that are a serious mismatch is of little use, in that case it likely would be better to just go back to printing under "printer manages colour" and skip the profiles altogether.

How can you tell which printers are close siblings? Check models and look for use of the same inkset. You can't tell much about the print head design unless you dig a lot deeper, but chances are if the inksets are different the match will be suboptimal at best and more likely poor. Canon and Epson inksets don't match each other at all, especially if you're jumping between pigment- and dye-based inksets.

How can you tell which papers might be close siblings? Use the free SpectrumViz tool produced by Ernst Dinkla. It's a database of spectral response curves of a large number of paper, visualized in a small graphing app. You don't necessarily need to understand much of what the meaning is, the main point is that 2 different papers showing curves that are very close to each other would profile in a very similar fashion. So if you can get profiles for one and not the other, use the profile you can get and substitute it for the other paper.
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralpl ... mviz_1.htm

If the paper you're trying to match isn't listed in SpectrumViz, it's probably a low-end vendor-specific paper and at that point you've only got the 3rd option left if you want to use printer profiles -- get a custom one created for you or create one yourself with something like the ColorMunki.
Royce Howland

by D7avid on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:19 am
D7avid
Forum Contributor
Thanks Royce I will do as you suggest.Appreciate everyones help

8 posts |