Lunar Eclipse

Posted by Diane Miller on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:55 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
I'm still on the road with my laptop but going to take a chance on the processing with it.

The cloud forecast at home (NW of San Francisco) looked bad for the lunar eclipse and I decided Joshua Tree NP, in the SW corner of California, looked a lot better.  Being quite a bit farther east also meant the moon would be a little higher without so much air in the path, so I headed out for a 2-day drive to this very cosmic location, with dark skies at 4000-5000 ft.

All was good until yesterday afternoon when high clouds loomed to the north.  I set up, hoping for luck, and got it!  The moon was behind some thin clouds for a while but the middle of the eclipse was clear, as far as I could tell.

I wanted to get the lowest ISO to get the best details, so I needed to freeze the motion of the dim moon at 600mm.  I set up my Astrotrac on lunar tracking mode, with the Canon 600 mm II and the 7D Mk II.  It wasn’t dark enough to do the requisite polar alignment so I had to use my iPhone compass to aim the tracking axis north.  After using the compass successfully for years, and many times yesterday to find where the moon would be from various locations, it started doing very strange things just as I was aligning.  (Desert heat got to it??)  Powered the phone off and back on and it worked long enough to align, then went crazy again.  But tracking was fortunately very good.  Don’t know if it shows here but the stars are very slightly elongated due to the difference in the motion of the moon, which I was tracking, and the stars.

This is a composite of two exposures due to the brightness gradient across the moon.  (This eclipse was deeper in the earth’s shadow than most, so this one was pretty easy.)  The moon was dim enough that the stars showed beautifully.  I had the best results at ISO 800, 1 to 4 sec exposures at f/4, near mid-eclipse.  I was hoping to be able to get down to ISO 100, but a breeze made the shorter exposures sharper. 

It is so cool to watch the skies get dark in a lunar eclipse and all the stars come out as they do in a new moon.

Posted by:
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor

by andre paul on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:04 pm
andre paul
Forum Contributor
very nice diane !!!!!!
we were fortunate to see this supermoon eclipse ;-)
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**

by crw816 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:58 am
crw816
Forum Contributor
Nice Diane! I was tempted to set up my tracking mount, but decided not to. Now I wish I had! It was so amazing to see the transformation of the night sky as the eclipse progressed. Almost as amazing to me as the eclipse itself! Glad you had clear skies, and you definitely took advantage of them!
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

by Peter Ireland on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:11 pm
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589
Amazing capture.

by Pedro da Costa on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:42 pm
Pedro da Costa
Forum Contributor
Member #:02133
Beautiful.

by Gary Briney on Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:07 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Nice work!
G. Briney

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:31 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Love seeing the stars all around. Nice, sharp, clear view.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:46 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A beautiful view of this event Diane!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Diane Miller on Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:44 pm
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
Thanks, everyone! I came SOOO close to being shot down by clouds. They prevented me from shooting the partial phases as it came out, but it was time for some celebratory beers, and a Mexican dinner to wash them down.

I noticed on Michael Frye's blog that he also came to Joshua Tree (from central CA) to shoot it. The next closest location that looked good was Kansas and Nebraska.

by John Labrenz on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:45 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
So cool!!!

10 posts |