Orion's Sword and Running Man- PixInsight

Posted by crw816 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:46 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 300mm f2.8isII + 1.4xTC III, f4, 25 second exposures, ISO 1600, Sky-Watcher, 62 Subs (25.8 minutes total exposure), No Darks, Flats, or Bias Frames Taken.  PixInsight, Photoshop, Lightroom.

Please View In Shadowbox.

I began shooting the night sky in January of this year, and the frames used for this image were shot on January 20th.  It was my 3rd night out with the new equipment and I remember it was bitterly cold.

I posted this image back then after processing it with Photoshop (manually aligning and averaging the images) and lightroom.  At the time I was amazed with the details and the colors, however I had no idea what the colors were supposed to be, or the contrast, or anything really.  The result was artistic, but I had no idea if it was true or not.  (Image posted below for comparison)

Since then I have spent many hours studying the processing of astrophotography images.  Working with these files is a unique and challenging process as shooting in the dark yields a very low signal and only through the combination of many images and tactful extraction of that signal do the details begin to emerge. 

A few months ago I added ImagesPlus to my workflow.  It is a capable editing program, but not one that I could figure out despite researching the tutorials available, so I used it to stack images and then switched to photoshop and lightroom for stretch and fine tuning.  This workflow improved the quality of my images, however I was still largely unfulfilled with the final product.

A few days ago I downloaded a trial version of PixInsight, one of the most complex but capable photo editing software platforms ever created... and targeted specifically at astrophotography.   After many hours of learning the program I dove in and began editing old image files.   At first I started with my most recent, which I was sure the data was better, but as details in these images began to emerge that I did not believe were there, I started to re-visit my older data, from the first nights out.

This rendition of The Orion Nebula Complex and Running Man was created with the editing tools of PixInsight, and while I am just barely beginning to scratch the surface with this complex program it is quickly becoming clear to me that it is extremely capable at unlocking the data hidden within. 

C&C Welcome. 
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

Posted by:
crw816
Forum Contributor

by crw816 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:47 pm
crw816
Forum Contributor
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

by TonyPrower on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:22 am
TonyPrower
Forum Contributor
It's a fascinating Galaxy out there and maybe just as amazing is the way you have captured and presented a tiny part of space which is bigger than we could ever imagine.
Driven by a passion for Iceland and photography https://www.icelandaurora.com/

by Carol Clarke on Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:44 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Chris I admire your dedication to learning your craft and the end results are literally 'out of this world'.

There is so much to see in this amazing image and the more I look, the more I see. This makes me feel I am being given a glimpse of the dawn of creation, and at the same time I can see the forms of celestial creatures in the swirling clouds of gas - if that's what it is.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by John P on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:32 am
John P
Forum Contributor
I am so impressed with your "Galaxy" images, all of them are not only nicely done but also very unique!
John P
www.impressionsofnature.net

by Jens Peermann on Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:22 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Spectacular glimpse into the world everything evolved from.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Gary Briney on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:04 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
There's certainly a huge difference between the two versions. I really like the new processing which appears much more 'realistic'. Outstanding work -- I admire your dedication!
G. Briney

by Mark Picard on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:07 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
WOW DUDE! :)
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Jerry Merrell on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:36 pm
Jerry Merrell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00210
Exceptionally nice.

Jerry
Jerry Merrell

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:01 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by John Labrenz on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:52 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Another WOW!!!
Amazing stuff!

by Markus Jais on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:56 am
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
Member #:01791
Absolutely amazing shot and given that this is probably light-years away it is basically a shot from many years ago :-)

12 posts |