Pinwheel

Posted by crw816 on Thu May 21, 2015 10:13 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
Canon Rebel T5i (Modified), Canon 300mm f2.8IS II + 1.4x TC III, f4, 75 second exposure (Qty 62), ISO 1600, Astrotrac, Dark, Flat and Bias Frames, ImagesPlus, Photoshop, Lightroom.

Please view in shadowbox.

Total exposure time: 77 minutes, 30 seconds. 

The Pinwheel galaxy is a beautiful spiral galaxy found within Ursa Major.  It is located right next to the handle of the big dipper and an almost equilateral triangle can be drawn with The end two stars of the handle and this galaxy.

Its designation is Messier 101 (M101) and is dubbed the Pinwheel Galaxy for obvious reasons.  M101 is located about 25 million light years away and was discovered by Pierre Méchain in 1781.  How these amazing astronomers found these deep space objects with the technology available at the time is truly quite incredible!

Notice that there is some asymmetry with the spiral arms of M101.  It is believed that this is due to a near collision with another galaxy, and that this event caused density waves in the spiral arms to be amplified, compressing hydrogen gas and leading to bursts of star formation. -(Jerry Lodrigus) There are bright pink and red knots of ionized hydrogen gas within the spirals, however I was unable to capture this detail with this attempt.  I did not use my light pollution filter, and as a result the RAW files had a strong orange red hue to them.  Removing this cast, also removed the ionized hydrogen gas.  Perhaps I will combine this image with some frames using my light pollution filter to recover this detail.   

Of further interest, off to the left of the frame is a small (or very distant) spiral galaxy, and toward the lower right corner is another spiral (presumably) galaxy oriented end on to us. 
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

Posted by:
crw816
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 21, 2015 11:12 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
So super cool and I really appreciate the background on this galaxy as well.

by Carol Clarke on Thu May 21, 2015 3:20 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Ursa Major is nicely visible over our tiny town back garden. Having seen your amazing image I shall never look at it in quite the same way again! Wonderful image and information Chris! You are definitely on a roll with these shots and I'm loving them.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by crw816 on Thu May 21, 2015 10:27 pm
crw816
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:Ursa Major is nicely visible over our tiny town back garden.  Having seen your amazing image I shall never look at it in quite the same way again!  Wonderful image and information Chris!  You are definitely on a roll with these shots and I'm loving them.
Thanks Carol!  I appreciate the encouragement! 
Chris White

by Mark Boranyak on Fri May 22, 2015 5:23 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
Pretty amazing shot. Thanks for sharing.

Mark

by Mark Picard on Fri May 22, 2015 5:11 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Awesome Chris! Looks like you're having lots of fun with this. I enjoy seeing these extraordinary images. Keep up the good work. Only bummer for me after viewing your shots is how small and seemingly insignificant we all are here on Earth! :)
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by crw816 on Fri May 22, 2015 6:49 pm
crw816
Forum Contributor
Mark Picard wrote:Awesome Chris! Looks like you're having lots of fun with this. I enjoy seeing these extraordinary images. Keep up the good work. Only bummer for me after viewing your shots is how small and seemingly insignificant we all are here on Earth! :)
Yep, space is pretty big... Insignificant is the right word, I have that feeling every time I just stare up at the night sky.  Amazing stuff out there...  Would love to be up there to see your dark skies!  I was not into astro at the time, but I remember camping out at Nesowadnehunk on a moonless night and the stars were bright enough to cast shadows!
Chris White

by Gary Briney on Sat May 23, 2015 12:25 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Gorgeous image Chris -- another in an outstanding series!
G. Briney

by John Labrenz on Sun May 24, 2015 12:43 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
This is too cool!

by Wade Thorson on Sun May 24, 2015 10:04 am
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
I love it. I like the thumbnail crop. It really puts the pinwheel center stage.
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

by WOlf38 on Thu May 28, 2015 3:33 pm
WOlf38
Forum Contributor
Splendid!!!
Bravo Chris.

by John P on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:31 am
John P
Forum Contributor
Amazing image!