Rocks & Ripples As Sunset Approaches Colorado Plateau

Posted by Danielmb6 on Thu May 14, 2015 7:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
The Colorado Plateau is a photo heaven with so many choices and so little time. This shot among the Paria Rocks arrived as the sun was setting. I kept telling myself "Wait for it. Wait for it."  And finally it arrived.

Posted by:
Danielmb6
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 15, 2015 7:53 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
There is some strange stuff going on in this one. The sky is purple and there are many compression and sharpening artifacts. If the sky is blue on your monitor then your monitor's calibration is very far off. Properly processes and color balanced this could be a very nice shot but as presented, it's quite garish looking.

by steve mackay on Fri May 15, 2015 6:03 pm
steve mackay
Forum Contributor
Great scene and composition, the foreground lines are looking excellent too!.....I think that E.J has some very solid and helpful advice/critique.......the colour in the sky does look way off, but the compression/upsizing or whatever it is that is compromising the detail and adding the halos on that skyline is the biggest fault in this web presented image my opinion........and as was recently said to me, adding the shooting data can be very helpful in judging what could be going on?......but this is not a gear-obsessed-snob-fest here, web presented images are just critiqued as they are seen at the size shown..........if you want any advice or to say that i'm way off in my analysis then just say so, as that's the whole point of posting images and others critiquing them ......still a pretty cool shot though!.....well worthy of a repost! ;)
[url=http://www2.clikpic.com/mackay123/index.html][color=#000000]Steve Mackay Photography[/color][/url]

by Gary Briney on Sat May 16, 2015 3:31 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Interesting formations -- though the sunset would be lost, perhaps a B/W conversion would be a good option to avoid the overwhelming magenta sky.
G. Briney

by John Labrenz on Sat May 16, 2015 11:58 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
This one would benefit from some reprocessing to address the magenta sky and the obvious haloing.

5 posts |