Tigerscape - Himalayan Foothills India

Posted by DebasisBose on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:29 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
Early winter morning beginning Jan 2015, temperature hovering around 4°C ours was the first jeep on the beaten forest track, looking for the pug marks. While driving through the precinct of Rohini Padao on the main Dhangari-Dhikala road my family and I had a feeling that some strange noise was floating in the air, the driver of gypsy stopped and immediately switched off the ignition to hear what the sound was. The silence was broken by a growl… ‘aaaaaaaaooun…aaaaaaaoungh…..aaaaoungmmm’… unmistakable roar of a tiger, followed by silence. Even the early hour deafening love song of cricket and cicada stopped due to the vibration and infrasonic effect of the roar, at higher intensity it is possible to feel infra-sound vibrations in various parts of the body. The feel of the magic sound was such that our adrenaline started pumping vigorously; I could hear my own heartbeat. All of us on the gypsy suddenly went motionless in the posture we were in and started staring in the direction of the sound. After few seconds we saw her striped royal majesty slowly maneuvering through the rock bed of seasonal stream called sot in local language. Momentarily time seemed to have stopped when was woken up by an urgent excited call of the guide “woh raha ek aur tiger” and there he was his royal majesty staring at us from about a distance roughly about 60 to 70 meters. Corbett national park is a forest older than time itself because…. if you carefully observe the dead standing tree branching off towards the center of the frame, at the bifurcation on the top an inch below the upper edge about the center of the frame is holding a rock bigger than a size of football that may have rolled down the mighty Himalayas millions of year ago. Inferring that the tree at some point of time during her growing days have caught the rolling stone from the sot during rainy season in her bifurcating branch. Today the tree is just a dead dry structure holding the rock intact that possibly has seen the tree through her lifetime.

Posted by:
DebasisBose
Forum Contributor

by Gary Briney on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:48 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Interesting story -- the area in the lower right corner looks a bit odd. Was there some local post processing there?
G. Briney

by DebasisBose on Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:45 am
DebasisBose
Forum Contributor
Thanks - The bush was too close to the lens that blurred while focusing on the front tiger and the blur enhanced during PP.

3 posts |