This morning's lunar eclipse

Posted by Diane Miller on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:29 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
This was at 5 am this morning, and only lasted for 5 minutes. Shooting it was a bit of work. Some thin clouds were forecast where we live in Santa Rosa, CA and it wasn't hard to talk my husband into making a run in the plane to Independence, CA (between Bishop and Lone Pine), where it was severe clear. The tiny airport there (matching the tiny town) looked like a good place to throw sleeping bags under the plane without being harassed, and it proved to be so.

Canon 7D2, 600mm II + 1.4X III, ISO 800, f/5.6, composite of 5 exposures from 1/15 sec to 2 sec. Tracked with an Astrotrac. Not much done except exporting the minimally-adjusted exposures out of LR5 into PS for compositing by hand, a slight High Pass filter and a modest Curve punch.

Cropped to 60% of original frame.

The moon was barely grazed enough by the earth's shadow to qualify as a total eclipse, hence the much brighter upper edge. The upcoming eclipse in September will be deeper in the shadow and will be best in the eastern half of the country. It will also be at a more civilized hour, just a few hours after sunset on the east coast, but only an hour or so after on the west coast.

Posted by:
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor

by Gary Briney on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:38 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Superb
G. Briney

by Eia on Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:05 am
Eia
Forum Contributor
I purposely got up to see this in AZ. Good capture
~AnnaMaria~

by John Labrenz on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:37 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Terrific!

by siliconworm on Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:58 am
siliconworm
Forum Contributor
That looks like a bloody moon! :D
It doesn't matter who you are, but where you are and when you are.

by Chris Kayler on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:27 am
Chris Kayler
Forum Contributor
Personally, I'd back off on the crop a bit as I think this one needs some more negative space around the moon, but that of course is just my subjective opinion. The colors and exposure of the moon looks nice, and I like the few stars around the moon ... particularly the ones so close to it. Pretty cool to see them.

by Diane Miller on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:34 am
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone! Chris, unfortunately the bottom edge is that of the original frame. It's a bit tricky moving the camera on this rig, as I still don't have enough counterbalance (ordered another weight yesterday) and I decided to leave well enough alone. I could leave more on the top and sides -- will have another look but it felt a little unbalanced that way. I should add the smaller stars from the next longer exposure, which would create a little more interest in the BG. And I need to boost the ones that show here -- they're a little lost at this image size.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:33 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This is exceptionally sharp. I knew right away that this had to have a tracker on it :)

by Diane Miller on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:21 am
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
Thanks to the editors for making this an Editor's Pick! I'm very honored!

I've decided to re-shoot the star field during the dark of the moon, and composite it in. It was easy to get the exact position of the moon against the stars at the eclipse using Stellarium. Now if I can just locate the exact spot with the long lens... I'll get cleaner stars that way, and can bring out various sizes. There appeared to be a small galaxy below the moon, which would be nice to bring out. The brightest part of the moon caused too much glare in the longest exposures, and lunar tracking mode doesn't follow the star motion well enough for more than a few seconds.

by pleverington on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:51 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Looks like Mars... Congrats Dianne...beautiful work!

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by Sougata De on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:18 am
Sougata De
Forum Contributor
well captured

by WOlf38 on Thu May 28, 2015 3:36 pm
WOlf38
Forum Contributor
Beautiful!!

12 posts |