"In the Clouds"

Posted by Mark Picard on Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:17 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
Mt. Katahdin in Maine. The Penobscot Indians named it Katahdin, which means "The greatest mountain".

D3S, 24-120mm, ISO 100, F8 @ 1/125th, CP
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

Posted by:
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor

by James W. Milligan on Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:34 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
A very nice capture of the mountain and it's surroundings.The ripple in the water adds a bit of interest and structure.

On a side note,my nephew and his girl friend completed a through hike on the Appalachian Trail this past summer. I would like to send him a link to the IMAGE,is this OK?
JIM

by Mark Picard on Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:17 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
James W. Milligan wrote:A very nice capture of the mountain and it's surroundings.The ripple in the water adds a bit of interest and structure.

On a side note,my nephew and his girl friend completed a through hike on the Appalachian Trail this past summer. I would like to send him a link to the IMAGE,is this OK?
JIM
Oh yeah, sure......and congratulate them for me! Imagine ending a couple thousand mile "hike" at the top of that big boy!
Mark Picard

by James W. Milligan on Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:36 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
Mark Picard wrote:
James W. Milligan wrote:A very nice capture of the mountain and it's surroundings.The ripple in the water adds a bit of interest and structure.

JIM
Oh yeah, sure......and congratulate them for me! Imagine ending a couple thousand mile "hike" at the top of that big boy!
Thanks Mike I am sure they will enjoy the image

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:34 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Looks like JPEG compression really crunched up  a really nice photo.  Great fall colors!

by Mark Picard on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:45 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Looks like JPEG compression really crunched up  a really nice photo.  Great fall colors!
Yeah, I kinda' thought so to - is there any way to avoid this? It seems to randomly happen every now and then. I do my standard PhotoKit Sharpener 2 which usually is spot on for this type of image.... and I usually use the less aggressive of the jpeg sharpening choices from PhotoKit.
Mark Picard

by Mark Picard on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:52 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Looks like JPEG compression really crunched up  a really nice photo.  Great fall colors!
Here's one with no sharpening at all: 
Mark Picard

by John Labrenz on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:07 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Sweet colors!
I might be tempted to knock down the exposure by half a stop or so...
What is that white blotch in the water in the lower left?....it isn't consistent with the cloud formation...

by Mark Picard on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:36 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
John Labrenz wrote:.
What is that white blotch in the water in the lower left?....it isn't consistent with the cloud formation...
I think it was a UFO........we had lots of sightings that day. Seriously, I don't know 'cause 2 frames before and 2 frames after it's not there. Maybe some weird back reflection coming from the square Lee CP bouncing back in. In my haste to post one, of course I selected the one with the fault to process, not one of the other 4 that were fine. :) I guess a quick fix clone job is in order. Thanks for pointing that out John.
Mark Picard

by John Labrenz on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:10 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
@Mark;
Darn UFO's....lol

by Eia on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:43 am
Eia
Forum Contributor
It is a very cheerful image. I like the brightness personally.
~AnnaMaria~

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The best way to avoid it would be to become a paid member so that you can post much bigger files and larger dimensions too. That way you don't need as much JPEG compression. I have my Save For Web set permanently at 90% and even with 1200 pixel wide images I never come close to the file size limit for members.

by Mark Picard on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:12 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:The best way to avoid it would be to become a paid member so that you can post much bigger files and larger dimensions too.  That way you don't need as much JPEG compression.  I have my Save For Web set permanently at 90% and even with 1200 pixel wide images I never come close to the file size limit for members.

Perhaps you hadn't noticed, but I've been a member since 2005. :)  I think in this image either I did something wrong, or maybe something weird and unique happened during the jpeg process. Obviously I need to pay better attention!
Mark Picard

13 posts |