Rosette- New Image with Modified Camera (Compared to 7DII)

Posted by crw816 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:43 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
Canon T5i (Modified), Canon 300mm f2.8is II, f2.8, 60sec exposure, ISO 1600, Astrotrac, Light Pollution Filter, 66 Exposures for 66 Minutes Total, 35 Minutes Dark Frames, 30 Bias Frames, 25 Flat Frames, Stacked and Combined with ImagesPlus, Final Edits CS6 and Lightroom.

Please view in shadowbox. 

For those of you who are interested, his is really a comparative exercise.  I wanted to compare my Modified T5i to my 7DII so I set out the other night to re-shoot the Rosette nebula.  The IR filters on stock cameras block 80% of the Hydrogen Alpha Emission Lines (The reds and magentas) of emission nebula, making it quite challenging to acquire adequate pixel information on these deep sky subjects without very long exposure times on bright subjects and nearly impossible on very faint subjects.  This is compounded for those of us shooting in moderate light pollution areas. 

Modifying the camera by removing the stock IR filter allows the sensor to capture these faint emission nebulas with more detail.

When this image was shot there wsa a 22% Waxing Moon located in the nearby constellation of Taurus, which really washed out the fainter stars to the naked eye.  When I previously shot this image it was during a new moon, so the skies were very dark.  Despite the challenges of significantly brighter skies and more atmosphere to shoot through (The Rosette was further in the southern sky by the time it was dark enough to shoot) it is immediately apparent how much more data is gathered by the sensor. 

The original post (below) required maxing out Master Saturation and then individual color channels of red and magenta.  The vibrance slider was heavily to the right and still many areas of the nebula appeared white and light pink. 

With the modified camera, very little saturation and vibrance was used.  The wispy cloud detail in the emission nebula is much more apparent and the dark nebula "fractures" are more defined.

I increased the exposure much less on the new version and noise was much lower in the final result.  Less noise reduction and sharpening was required. 
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

Posted by:
crw816
Forum Contributor

by crw816 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:44 am
crw816
Forum Contributor
Chris White

by James W. Milligan on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:40 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
I am amazed at the quality of the images you have captured. Who would have thought that a 300mm lens would be able to reach out and capture this detail. This makes me wish I had my old Questar telescope.

by Gary Briney on Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:03 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Remarkable image Chris -- the difference in detail is surprising (though subjectively I like the rosy pink of the original version.)
G. Briney

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Gary Briney wrote:Remarkable image Chris -- the difference in detail is surprising (though subjectively I like the rosy pink of the original version.)
Man I need to do more of this sort of thing!  Very cool!

by Morkel Erasmus on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:51 pm
Morkel Erasmus
Forum Contributor
Beautiful!!
Morkel Erasmus
www.morkelerasmus.com

by John Labrenz on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:57 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
SPECTACULAR!!!!

by crw816 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:58 am
crw816
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Gary Briney wrote:Remarkable image Chris -- the difference in detail is surprising (though subjectively I like the rosy pink of the original version.)
Man I need to do more of this sort of thing!  Very cool!
Go for it EJ!!!
Chris White

by crw816 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:00 am
crw816
Forum Contributor
James W. Milligan wrote:I am amazed at the quality of the images you have captured. Who would have thought that a 300mm lens would be able to reach out and capture this detail. This makes me wish I had my old Questar telescope.
Thanks James!
Chris White

by Diane Miller on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:31 am
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
Spectacular, and a very interesting comparison. I'm curious how a modded camera does with galaxies compared to an un-modded one?

by Carol Clarke on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:12 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067

My thoughts too, the original is not so harsh on the eye.  You are producing some stunning images Chris!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

11 posts |