Horsehead on Fire

Posted by crw816 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:25 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
Canon T5i (modified), Canon 300mm f2.8is II, Astronomik Light Pollution Filter, f2.8, 90 second exposure (36 exposures for 54 min total), Astrotrac Tracking Mount, Light, Dark, Bias and Flat Frames stacked in ImagesPlus with final edits in Photoshop and Lightroom. 

Please view in shadowbox.

Well, the astro-bug has bitten me, and since photographing the Rosette Nebula I decided to make a couple of upgrades to my kit.  The keeper rate of long exposure big lens tracking with the Sky-Watcher was frustratingly low.  With so few dark clear nights I decided that I wanted something more reliable.

I ended up springing for an Astrotrac, which in every way is superior to the Sky-Watcher.  At 3x the price, it should be.  Tracking was perfect on 90 second exposures with a 300 f2.8.

I also decided that I wanted to modify a camera by having the IR filter removed to make it more sensitive to the hydrogen alpha emission lines of emission nebula.  Not wanting to modify my brand new "wildlife" camera I decided to purchase a T5i and sent it off to Hap Griffin for the mod.

A few weeks ago I photographed the Horsehead and Flame Nebula, but was not really too pleased with the results.  With my new gear I decided to take another crack at it.  Being so late in the season for shooting objects in Orion Constellation (and with an obstructed view of the southern sky from my location) I wasn't able to get as much integration time as I would have liked.  I really wanted double the exposure time, but I had to settle for this until next winter. 
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

Posted by:
crw816
Forum Contributor

by Gary Briney on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:15 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
It looks very good to me Chris -- thanks for another stellar image! ;)
G. Briney

by John Labrenz on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:40 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
This is amazing Chris!!!
Congrats on the article too BTW.
Note: Chris has written an article on astrophotgraphy (Rosette Nebula)...available to read in the articles section here at NSN.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:44 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Wow, this is fantastic in every way. Congrats on your newfound hobby/obsession. We are the ones that gain from that with phenomenal shots like this.

by bobmcrae on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:17 am
bobmcrae
Forum Contributor
Member #:00659
Amazing capture!
Bob Mc Rae

by Mark Boranyak on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:55 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
Wow, you nailed this one. Fantastic image.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

by crw816 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:11 am
crw816
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone for the comments and encouragement! :-)
Chris White

by JessFindlay on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:15 pm
JessFindlay
Forum Contributor
Wow, incredible shot!

by Mark Picard on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:03 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
WOW Chris - this is out of this world! (literally!)  :) Great stuff!
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by dissent on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:25 pm
dissent
Forum Contributor
A real stunner. Superb!

by Diane Miller on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
Beautiful! I'd be happy to settle for that!!

I assume the mod to the camera makes a big difference? And the same for the light pollution filter? I'm just beginning to explore this (also with an Astrotrac). I've been using a 7D II, and I've been very frustrated by bad skies. Haven't gotten a filter yet but thinking I should.

For a while I tried the new 100-400 II but it has the same triangular stars that are called pinched optics in telescopes. Back to the 300 f/2.8.

by crw816 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:58 pm
crw816
Forum Contributor
Diane Miller wrote:Beautiful!  I'd be happy to settle for that!!

I assume the mod to the camera makes a big difference? And the same for the light pollution filter? I'm just beginning to explore this (also with an Astrotrac). I've been using a 7D II, and I've been very frustrated by bad skies. Haven't gotten a filter yet but thinking I should.

For a while I tried the new 100-400 II but it has the same triangular stars that are called pinched optics in telescopes.  Back to the 300 f/2.8.
Diane,

I have only had this one shoot with my modified camera (actually two if you count the one right now!) but it looks like it is a HUGE difference compared to an unmodified camera when shooting emission nebula.  I'm shooting the Rosette again tonight so that I can make an actual comparison between my 7DII and this modified T5i.... I'll post the results so anyone interested can see the advantage.  The noise (dark and read) is not as clean as the 7DII, so I am using dark and bias frames to help with that.  I didnt want to modify my 7DII, so I bought this rebel. 

Regarding the light pollution filter... it makes a huge difference for me as I am shooting just a few miles from Burlington and the skies are quite polluted.  An hour from here and they are quite dark, so hopefully I will be able to make it out there soon.  From what I understand, unless you are shooting reflection nebula its a good idea to use the filter all the time.  There is always skyglow no matter how dark the site is, and that can be an advantage.  The only downside that I can see is that it requires more exposure time.  With a reliable tracker like the astrotrac, this does not seem to be a big deal.  Astronomik makes one that sits inside the camera between the lens and the body.  It lets you have one filter that can be used with any of your lenses.

Interesting on the 100-400.  The 300f2.8 is a great lens for deep sky astro.  It is fast and plays well with TC's.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Chris White

by Morkel Erasmus on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:34 pm
Morkel Erasmus
Forum Contributor
That is awesomesauce...!
Morkel Erasmus
www.morkelerasmus.com

by pleverington on Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:00 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Interestingly I'm much favoring these images with surrounding environment over those that are much tighter in taken with gear that is much more powerful and expensive. It gives the whole image better sense of place by incorporating those surrounding stars. Beautiful image Chris!!

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by Kari Post on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:32 pm
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Member #:00959
Stellar!
Kari Post, former NSN Editor 2009-2013
Check out my Website and Instagram

by Mark Boranyak on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:06 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
This is a spellbinding photo in every way. Please submit more like this  :)

Mark

by Brian Stirling on Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:41 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I wonder if we might add a new sub-forum to cover these kinds of shots.  I guess landscape is the most logical choice of the current choices but, obviously, this isn't really LANDscape.

Nonetheless, these are great shots and I'm glad to see others with this interest and appreciation.  

It is not well appreciated that a good telephoto can make a great astrophotographer's lens.  Of course, the required mount and tracking hardware/software make this a specialized area but if many of us have >$20K in photo gear adding another $2K-$5K can open some amazing new doors.

Brian

17 posts |