Sunset Arch

Posted by Nikhil Bahl on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:46 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
The California coast offers some great photographic opportunities. I love the rugged shoreline is sculpted by wind and the ocean that form arches along the coast. This has to be my favorite. For a short time, every winter, the sun sets in line with the arch and a beam of light forms towards sunset. This offers a chance to make some rather surreal images. This was one of the locations I took the group to during the California coast workshop, in January.

There are so many different ways to photograph this scene. Although, I find such a composition to be rather mysterious. It is not uncommon that I get asked "what is that?" :)

Nikon D800e, 44mm, iso 100, f/16, 2 sec
In photography; we are only restricted by our own imagination.
http://www.nikhilbahl.com

Posted by:
Nikhil Bahl
Forum Contributor
Member #:01880

by Gary Briney on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:55 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Awesome -- I like your interpretation
G. Briney

by jerryb on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:22 pm
jerryb
Forum Contributor
I like the sun's reflection on the surf.
Larger sized samples of my work can be seen on Google Plus at https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JerryBarnettPhoto

by CactusD on Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:45 am
CactusD
Forum Contributor
Location: Ideally, halfway up a Greek mountain, or in the northern British landscape; otherwise, Banbury, UK
Very nice. An original take on this kind of subject - I like the graphic quality of the light ray.
"The Sun is God."  J. M. W. Turner

Large Format Photography Website

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It is a very cool spot. Great shot!

by John Labrenz on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:52 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Wonderful...neat shot!

by Chris Kayler on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:17 am
Chris Kayler
Forum Contributor
I find the ray of light leading off to the right to be pretty unbalanced. I've never been here, so maybe the arch ends a bit further to the right and a shot with the window on the left is not possible, but the composition just doesn't feel very comfortable to me as is! With that said, I think you totally nailed the contrast and exposure here. The shadows are dark and contrasty, and the light is relatively bright and natural looking compared to the rest of the scene. That bit of rim lighting is also really special back in the arch. Not bad at all, but the composition doesn't sit well with me.

by Nikhil Bahl on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:28 pm
Nikhil Bahl
Forum Contributor
Member #:01880
Thanks all!
Chris: This composition is driven by a concept. The concept is to convey something surreal and unusual and to create mystery. The obvious thing to do is place the light beam to the left and have it leading into the photo but that creates some level of familiarity since that is how most photos are composed. With this composition there is more visual tension in the image. Also, I do think having the larger rocks on the left, balances the composition. I realize doing something different is not going to appeal to everyone but I like to take that chance. Anyway, thanks for your opinion! You just gave me an idea for an article :)
In photography; we are only restricted by our own imagination.
http://www.nikhilbahl.com

by MalcolmBenn on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:48 pm
MalcolmBenn
Forum Contributor
Beautiful and very dramatic image.
Malcolm Benn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8357466@N03/

9 posts |