Bridal Veil Falls

Posted by SMB on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:33 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Tunnel View at Yosemite, California in the pouring rain.
D3s, ISO 500 1/2.5 sec, f16, 24-120 f4 lens.
Stan

Posted by:
SMB
Forum Contributor

by Darren K on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:55 pm
Darren K
Forum Contributor
Killer shot, Stan! That vertical cloud section really makes the shot and looks like a waterfall in its own right. The image, however, is very, very flat with little tonal range, though I know much of it was caused by the rain. Once the contrast is increased to bring out the richer blacks and whites, I think it would be stunning. Also, it doesn't appear to be a scene where f/16 is necessitated, but certainly any minimal sharpness effects with that are not visible here.

by Wade Thorson on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:12 pm
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
I like the mood here. I might brighten it, and apply more contrast too...
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

by John Labrenz on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:40 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
An interesting and moody image.
I agree with the thoughts on contrast addition.

by Chris Kayler on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:48 pm
Chris Kayler
Forum Contributor
Love this! The way that cloud is clinging to the rock to really highlight its shape is so special. It also completely mimics the shape of the falls themselves which helps balance the composition further. The lone craggy peak on the far left stands alone and commands attention as well. If I had to state one nit it might be that I would go for just a touch higher contrast, though it certainly does work fine as presented here too. Love the fast shutter speed stopping the motion of the waterfall to add further to the dramatic nature of this scene. Really, really good work Stan.

by SMB on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:21 pm
SMB
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the critiques.
I did want the texture of the falls to show, to not have the water seem to similar to the clouds, hence the f16 setting.
There are only three shots in this sequence. The clouds were moving fast and there was only about 15-20 seconds where they draped the rocks and did not cover up the falls.
I will play some more with the contrast, but I thought this was pretty representative of the mood of the shoot. We were really wet and cold!
Stan

by jerryb on Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:37 am
jerryb
Forum Contributor
If you have a program that has a structure and or tonal control it can help bring out the detail without over doing the contrast. Both the cloud detail and wet rock face could really be brought out, but still look natural.
Larger sized samples of my work can be seen on Google Plus at https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JerryBarnettPhoto

7 posts |