Comet Lovejoy

Posted by ChrisRoss on Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:45 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
Comet Lovejoy

Taken on 16 January at the ASNSW dark sky site, 150km NW of Sydney, lovejoy was a marginal naked eye fuzzy patch and in binoculars only showed the coma around the nucleus, the tail was quite faint.  It was discovered by Australian Amateur Terry Lovejoy last year.

This is a stacked image consisting of 46 frames at 20 sec at ISO1600 and 3200, the camera was mounted on an Ipotron camera tracker.  Alignment was not great but enabled 20 sec exposures, none of which showed any tail out of camera.

Frames were stacked in deep sky stacker software and incorporated dark, bias frames and flats to remove vignetting.  32 bit image saved and imported into PS for levels adjustment then to 16 bit to complete processing.  Star mask used to do BG noise reduction.

Larger image:  Lovejoy

Canon 1DMkIV + 180mm macro.  20 sec @ f3.5 ISO1600/3200
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

Posted by:
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor

by Gary Briney on Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:02 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Superb Chris -- great processing to reveal the tail
G. Briney

by Luzestelar on Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:24 pm
Luzestelar
Forum Contributor
Excellent processing Chris
Jose Fernandez
Web: http://josefernandezgarcia.com

by rnclark on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:07 pm
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Hi Chris,

Very nice image with a lot of potential. With 46 exposures, did the comet move much against the stars?

You have a lot of detail in the tail. There seems tome light pollution toward the bottom of the frame. I would select that and subtract it out, then I bet you can pull even more detail out of the tail. For the comet's head, I used one of my unstretched images to merge with the stretched image to make an HDR, thus retaining detail to near the nucleus. The tail is an ion tail which is mostly blue, so consider changing the color balance to show that.

Roger

by ChrisRoss on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:59 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
rnclark wrote:Hi Chris,

Very nice image with a lot of potential.  With 46 exposures, did the comet move much against the stars?

You have a lot of detail in the tail.  There seems tome light pollution toward the bottom of the frame.  I would select that and subtract it out, then I bet you can pull even more detail out of the tail.  For the comet's head, I used one of my unstretched images to merge with the stretched image to make an HDR, thus retaining detail to near the nucleus.  The tail is an ion tail which is mostly blue, so consider changing the color balance to show that.

Roger

Hi Roger,

thanks for the tips, I have since re worked the stacking after selecting the comet manually in each frame which allows it to be stacked separately in Deep Sky Stacker. and gotten better tail detail.  I am finding the colour balance rather difficult with this method as Deep sky stacker seems to milk all of the colour out of the images which seems to be difficult to add back without introducing colour casts in the sky.  The colour is clearly there in the straight Raw images.   I am thinking I might take about 10-20 images and have Deep sky stacker produce registered tiffs for stacking in photoshop and add them to the DSS stacked image to provide colour.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Wade Thorson on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:07 pm
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
Really cool. Would prefer some color too...
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

by John Labrenz on Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:51 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
This is really cool.
I've gone out the past few nights and can't even spot this thing....

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:35 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Very cool!

by Hikin Mike on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:24 pm
Hikin Mike
Forum Contributor
Great job!
Mike Matenkosky
Images in the Backcountry | Facebook | Google+
"The heavens declare the glory of God; The skies proclaim the work of his hands" -Ps 19:1

9 posts |