Twilight Rocks

Posted by MrPhil on Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
The day had been very windy, but with numerous breaks in the cloud so I was hoping for a sunset and an just-average one turned up, but about 10 to 15 minutes after sunset the light started to flow :-)

Only problem with this location is the tide comes in very fast and just waiting to get that last shot resulted in the wellington boots filling with water before I knew it!

As usual - appreciate all feedback.

Hopefully the castle on the headline and the groynes are small enough to avoid this going to travel and culture - but if so, then please move :-)

Phil
Phil Corley
[url]http://www.philcorley.com[/url]

Posted by:
MrPhil
Forum Contributor

by Mark Picard on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:48 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Yeah, this is one of my pet peeves about this type of landscape image - to me there is too much "hand of man" in the image, which in addition to the castle, there's also a pier visible on the right side. Nice image though, and a good candidate for the "Travel & Culture" category. If it were up to me I wouldn't allow any man made subjects in the "Landscapes" gallery no matter how small or insignificant- but that's just my opinion.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by MrPhil on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:10 am
MrPhil
Forum Contributor
@Mark, rather limits the postings we can make from England or Wales as the "hand of man" is everywhere :-( Even the rocks in the foreground have been placed there by man; oh and the pier is not a pier but sea defence groynes. Also a question, how long does something have to have been there to be "part of the landscape"? The castle in question has been there for about 800 years.

But hey, if people want it in Travel and Culture - as I said - I am fine with that, but would be nice for more feedback on the image with a short "suggest it is moved" statement instead :-)

Phil
Phil Corley
[url]http://www.philcorley.com[/url]

by djredman on Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:19 pm
djredman
Lifetime Member
Member #:00616
I like the image, as for the "hand of man" that is for others to decide. I do see a strong halo between the land and the sky thou. But again, a nice image.

Dave Redman

by Peter McCabe on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:21 pm
Peter McCabe
Forum Contributor
Member #:01046
I like the image, the sky is fantastic. Compositionally I like what you trying to do but in this instance I am not totally convinced it works, (for me that is). My eye, keeps wondering around the image, and Im not to sure the juxtaposition between the foreground rocks and the distant headland works. As for the hand of man, I am from Ireland, and have the same issues as you, people putting things everywhere be it a castle or a bungalow, a 5000yr old megalithic tomb or a village shop.
For this image, the hand of man doesn't overpower the scene and wouldn't mind it sticking around here.
Peter Mc Cabe - Landscape Photographer Website Facebook YouTube

by John Labrenz on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:24 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
The decision as to whether an image belongs in Landscapes or Travel and Culture will always be a subjective one. I suspect that would be the case even if we had a complete NO hand of man rule.
As such, I find that the hand of man inclusions here are not significant, nor dominant..and in fact, many would not have even noticed the castle had Phil not mentioned it.
I have no problem leaving it here in Landscapes.

That said, I do really like this image. I am not as troubled with the comp as Peter is...I find the f/g rocks and swirls around them quite inviting....great colors too!
The reflection may be a tad light for reality though...

by Gary Briney on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:33 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Stunning reflection and f/g rock -- though the square profile of the castle jumps out in silhouette, it's very small.
G. Briney

by Hikin Mike on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:11 pm
Hikin Mike
Forum Contributor
I'm with Mark with the 'hand of man' thing.

I do like the composition and the colors here. Hope you didn't get too wet!
Mike Matenkosky
Images in the Backcountry | Facebook | Google+
"The heavens declare the glory of God; The skies proclaim the work of his hands" -Ps 19:1

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:33 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A very beautiful photo that is well designed.

John and I are the policemen of the amount of human content that's acceptable and we both feel this one is OK.  I realize it's subjective but the way I look at it is if I removed the human elements, would the picture materially change in impact and for this photo, to me, that answer is no.

9 posts |