Rocks and trees.

Posted by Marshall Black on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
I think this is too dark as a jpeg.
Canon EOS 6D, EF 70-300 f4-5.6L IS USM at 100mm, f10, ISO100, cropped to 16X9,  tripod, polariser.
Parque Nacional Peneda-Geres, Campo Do Geres, Portugal.
Loved this rocky tor, with the living oak tree growing between the huge boulders, and the bare leaved living oak on the left.
I sat here for a while wondering.
How did these trees get here? I guess a bird dropped the acorn.
How do they survive? I guess they're not meant to be there.
How long will they be there? Probably longer than I will be on this amazing planet...
Am I important?????
Cheers
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall Black on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
Marshall Black
Lifetime Member
Member #:00417

by CactusD on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:33 pm
CactusD
Forum Contributor
Location: Ideally, halfway up a Greek mountain, or in the northern British landscape; otherwise, Banbury, UK
I like this one; nice choice of aspect - though left and right perhaps slightly tight? Dark cloud adds a sense of drama, and soft directional lighting from the right adds a bit of clarity to the bigger structures.
"The Sun is God."  J. M. W. Turner

Large Format Photography Website

by Chris Kayler on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:51 pm
Chris Kayler
Forum Contributor
My biggest complaint here is just your large copyright ruining the dark and wonderful mood! I really like this image. The tree off to the left, balanced by the large small boulders to the right is so perfect. The composition is set up so well with everything having a meaning and purpose in regards to where it was placed. The texture in the sky is interesting enough to be nice to look at without taking away from the scene below. All around really like this one.

by Carol Clarke on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:02 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Clicking on this to bring in the darker surround really helps. Fascinating rocks which make me think of some giant slumbering prehistoric beast!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Marshall Black on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:53 pm
Marshall Black
Lifetime Member
Member #:00417
Thanks for the comments all, I've replaced the original image with a grey copyright for Chris Kayler.
Thought I was adding a new version, but....
Cactus, I checked the framing as I know I took pics 3 different times hoping for brooding clouds, all the framings were the same even though I'd been wandering. Can't quite remember, but I guess there was a distraction on one or both edges. I was amazed how similar each framing was, as they had been taken from slightly differing viewpoints.
Cheers
Marshall

by CactusD on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:51 am
CactusD
Forum Contributor
Location: Ideally, halfway up a Greek mountain, or in the northern British landscape; otherwise, Banbury, UK
Marshall Black wrote:Thanks for the comments all, I've replaced the original image with a grey copyright for Chris Kayler.
Thought I was adding a new version, but....
Cactus, I checked the framing as I know I took pics 3 different times hoping for brooding clouds, all the framings were the same even though I'd been wandering. Can't quite remember, but I guess there was a distraction on one or both edges. I was amazed how similar each framing was, as they had been taken from slightly differing viewpoints.
Cheers
Marshall
No matter: it's still very nice as is!
"The Sun is God."  J. M. W. Turner

Large Format Photography Website

by John Labrenz on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:16 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
I really like this.
It does have a prehistoric feel to it.
Perhaps a bit tight all around but still very neat!
As for the copyright....I've had many of my images ripped so, I have no problem with it.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:16 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Looks just fine to me.

8 posts |