A Touch of Warmth

Posted by bradjames on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
For those of you that follow my work you know I'm new to landscape photography but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it and obviously practice it as much as possible. I would love to get your thoughts on my recent landscape shot at Cape Spear, NL. Do you feel this is a good landscape shot or looks more like a "snap shot"

NikonD7100, Tamron 11-16mm @ 16mm, ISO100, F16, 1.3s exposure...this is a manual blend of two exposures.

Check out my website to see more of my work
<a href="http://www.bradjameswildlifephotography.com" rel="nofollow">www.bradjameswildlifephotography.com</a>
please take a moment to Like my new Facebook page so you can following along with me there as well
<a href="http://www.facebook.com/bradjameswildlifephotography" rel="nofollow">www.facebook.com/bradjameswildlifephotography</a>
Please visit my website at www.bradjameswildlifephotography.com

Posted by:
bradjames
Forum Contributor

by Chris Kayler on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:58 pm
Chris Kayler
Forum Contributor
Doesn't look like a snapshot to me. However, I do think it could use some processing work. I would personally darken the sky (and also the highlights in the water correspondingly ... you don't want the water brighter than the sky). I might also up the saturation just a hair in the sky, depending on how it looked once darkened. I'm thinking about a half stop or so total of darkening. The composition is very relaxed and lacks any "dramatic" foreground (which, IMO, is not always necessary). This gives the image quite a calm and warm feeling, which I am a big fan of. The clouds along the top edge are perfect for the scene and drive the eye back into the image. Darken the sky and repost, if you have time ... I'd love to see!

by bradjames on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
bradjames
Forum Contributor
Chris thank you so much for the reply and wonderful advice. If I get a chance I will certainly make the adjustments you mentioned and repost it for you to see. Again thanks for taking the time to comment.
Please visit my website at www.bradjameswildlifephotography.com

by Dave Pluimer on Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:05 pm
Dave Pluimer
Forum Contributor
Looks like a great location and I also think you did a great job composing the shot. I'd lie to see the sun on the horizon and the rocks a stop or so brighter.

by Gary Briney on Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:03 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Beautiful shot -- a touch of shadow contrast would really make this sing (I find NIK/Tonal Contrast handy for this.)
G. Briney

by jerryb on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:00 am
jerryb
Forum Contributor
I really like the dreamy feel. The breaks in the clouds leading to the sun are nice. As mentioned darker lights and lighter darks would be nice.
Larger sized samples of my work can be seen on Google Plus at https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JerryBarnettPhoto

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think this one is really well done. I do agree that the water shouldn't be brighter than the sky but that's an easy fix to a wonderful photo.

by John Labrenz on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:45 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Lovely water, f/g and light!
Agree regarding the water brightness....worth addressing and reposting.

8 posts |