Posted by JessFindlay on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
- Cascade Splendour - 
Manning Provincial Park, British Columbia, Canada
Canon 5DM3 | Canon 17-40mm f/4 | 1/25th | f/14 | ISO 100
Hi everyone,

Here's a favourite of mine from this autumn. Taken during a solo backpacking trip, high in the Cascade Mountains of southwestern BC. I had just finished photographing a colourful sunrise at the small tarn where I had camped and decided to hike a short distance over a ridge to warm up in the morning sun. I had visited this tree in days previous, but the light had never really jumped out at me. As the sun climbed higher in the sky, slowly illuminating the valleys below me and setting this alpine larch aglow, the scene really sang. I'm sure I'll remember this morning for many years to come. 

Best wishes, 

Posted by:
JessFindlay
Forum Contributor

by Luzestelar on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:57 pm
Luzestelar
Forum Contributor
Beautiful image Jess, I love it
Jose Fernandez
Web: http://josefernandezgarcia.com

by crw816 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:45 pm
crw816
Forum Contributor
Very nice Jess! Not sure about the tree being dead center, but the scene is stunning.
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

by Keith Bozeman on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:52 pm
Keith Bozeman
Forum Contributor
Wonderful light!

by Eia on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:26 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Beautiful light in great detail. Personally, I like the tree in the center because the two mountain slopes and right at the base of the tree. A really nice scene.
~AnnaMaria~

by Chris Kayler on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:44 pm
Chris Kayler
Forum Contributor
Yo Jess! I'm really digging this one. It has a lot of soul, if you know what I mean. The composition is genius with the solo Larch tree taking center stage and the background mountains providing the stage. I like that you placed the tree within the valley and not overlapping with the distant peaks! My nits, cause you know I gotta have em, are that I wish the flare in the upper left wasn't quite as colorful. I don't mind the lines of the sun (in fact, they help), but I'm not liking the way there is a color of rainbows up there. Also, it seems that there is a pretty sharp flare line along the base of the peak to the right as well. Additionally, I'd bring this into ACR and turn on the remove chromatic aberration feature, as there is some prominent greens along the edges of the peaks in the sky. Did you happen to capture this scene with your hand shading the front of the lens? You would lose the good flare, but it might be nice to look at and compare. Overall, 87/100! :D

by John Labrenz on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:49 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Sweet light that nicely isolates the golden tree.
I personally like the flare as it accentuates and points to the center of attraction.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:59 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I love the subject and the general environment. Putting the tree just slightly off center to the right would make it even better in my opinion.

by John P on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:23 pm
John P
Forum Contributor
Very nice, I like the placement of the tree and the foreground is perfect to compliment the tree and nice contrast between that and the darker mountains!
John P
www.impressionsofnature.net

by JessFindlay on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:05 pm
JessFindlay
Forum Contributor
Thanks everyone for the kind words and critiques!

Chris, I always appreciate your valuable criticisms, they really help a lot. I did try a few with my hand blocking the left side of the front element but as you mentioned, they took away all the diffuse light bleeding in that really attracted me in the first place. Perhaps I can go back and selectively blend out certain portions of the flare.

10 posts |