Posted by:
tony goran
Forum Contributor

by rnclark on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:35 pm
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Hello Tony,

You've recorded quite a few stars, but for me the color is too blue and purple. If you want this for the mood, it is fine. But if you are trying for a natural look, and not the current fad of the night sky is blue, then the sky is dark gray if no airglow (unlikely as we are at solar max) or green/red/orange/yellow depending on the nature of the airglow. There are no blue stars. In the raw conversion, use suny white balance and if you reduce the exposure slider by one, even two, stops, then boost in post processing with the curves tool (and not moving the upper right point), you'll maintain better star colors. See my recently posted nightscape for more details. Of course, if you like the blue/purple, ignore my comments.

Roger

by tony goran on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:03 am
tony goran
Forum Contributor
rnclark wrote:Hello Tony,

You've recorded quite a few stars, but for me the color is too blue and purple.  If you want this for the mood, it is fine.  But if you are trying for a natural look, and not the current fad of the night sky is blue, then the sky is dark gray if no airglow (unlikely as we are at solar max) or green/red/orange/yellow depending on the nature of the airglow.  There are no blue stars.  In the raw conversion, use suny white balance and if you reduce the exposure slider by one, even two, stops, then boost in post processing with the curves tool (and not moving the upper right point), you'll maintain better star colors.  See my recently posted nightscape for more details.  Of course, if you like the blue/purple, ignore my comments.

Roger
Thank you for your advice Roger , I 'll try another processing. By the way you has a great gallery

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I like a bluish look to the sky in these types of shots. Perhaps a little less purple than this but overall it's nicely done.

by John Labrenz on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:03 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
I like it just the way it is!!! Sweet!

5 posts |