Polar Flight

Posted by DeEldor on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
Another composite image: Lake McDonald during an Arctic front...it was -11F when I took this. Added the Swans from another image. Since the size relationship was the critical point in my last image, I thought I'd ask for your opinion on this one. Also, is there an algorithm for determining size in reflections that I'm unaware of?  Thanks for looking and any suggestions.
"Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again."
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posted by:
DeEldor
Forum Contributor

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:33 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
This one works fine for me- a really beautiful scene.

Not sure how you are processing the reflections. Are you copying the geese and then pasting upside down? What processing format are you using? (i.e. photoshop or something?)

Whatever you did for the reflection also works fine to my eye.
i like your background texture too. Very nice work!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Diane Miller on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:32 pm
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
Very nice!  I love the composition, the mist, the mountains, and the brown accents against the blue.  Very effective 3D framing!

I wonder how it would look if the swans were flipped horizontally, flying into the frame, where there is a little more empty space, instead of out of it?

A reflection isn't symmetrical with the subject.  Rather it appears as the subject would if your eye were at the position on the water where it appears.  So a reflection would show more of the undersides of the birds, and in the case of trees on a shore, a foreshortened view.  But I would think that the distance to the reflection and to the birds is the same (or close enough) that I'd think the sizes should be the same.

by Gary Briney on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:13 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Really nice composite. Reflections appear full size -- that is to say the same as the original. They appear to be as far beneath the reflecting surface as the actual object is above it. So in this case, leaving the reflection as is, you need to lower the swans considerably.
G. Briney

4 posts |