"First digital painting"

Posted by John P on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
I am interested in your critiques on this painting! This is my very fist attempt so I have a huge learning curve. I just used CS 6 and a tutorial I found on the internet. this is from one of my Loon images taken this summer out of my canoe! I am considering adding another gallery on my web site on Digital Art. But not until I feel more comfortable in creating digital art.
John P
www.impressionsofnature.net

Posted by:
John P
Forum Contributor

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:13 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Very nice start, John. The beautiful eyes were retained and the mood of the picture. It's a real charmer. I think the texture is a little rough- did you use PS 6 oil paint? You can alter the textures to make them smoother with the sliders. It's really not bad, just a matter/preference of taste on my part. By the way , Topaz Labs has a really great application add-on called Impressions. Lots of great choices and easy to use. (No, I don't work for Topaz, but I like their products, generally). :). Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to more.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Gary Briney on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:48 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
The loons make a great subject. Though the abstract quality appeals to my personal taste, I'm guessing that many viewers would prefer a bit more detail. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work here!
G. Briney

by John P on Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:02 am
John P
Forum Contributor
I did use oil paint in CS 6, I did a few more (different images) and I agree especially the back end of the Loon is to dark the actual image the loon and chick are a little lighter and much more detail especially on the back side. Thanks for your comments and I will probably give Topaz a try if they have a 30 day free trial.
John P
www.impressionsofnature.net

by swanuck on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:04 am
swanuck
Forum Contributor
Good first attempt but use those sliders cautiously

by jerryb on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:33 am
jerryb
Forum Contributor
John P., Good that you removed distracting elements or your original was clean to start with. The nice thing about digital painting your photos is that you can alter them a lot first. And once you do your "digital painting" you would never know what was removed or added. And when finished, the painting can be further tweaked by reediting it with your favorite programs.

In this case, I think you can lighten the center so the loons will stand out more.
Larger sized samples of my work can be seen on Google Plus at https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JerryBarnettPhoto

6 posts |