RMNP Ram Polaroid Transfer

Posted by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
A Polaroid image transfer of a Bighorn ram at Rocky Mountain NP.
Copyright Joe A. Roybal
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Posted by:
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor

by Gary Briney on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:25 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Very cool image -- great subject, and I especially like the texture. Did you add the texture in digitally or is it the natural result of the transfer?
G. Briney

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:49 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Hey Gary, the texture is the natural result of the transfer. Paper type used makes quite a bit of difference. I like smooth papers for the sharpest image, but transfers are never like a normal print. I tried handmade paper once, but the image was a failure because of the rough texture. It's hard to reproduce the image exactly like the original, because the scans and PP necessary change them a bit.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Gary Briney on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:22 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the info Joe -- what's the size of the Polaroid image by the way?
G. Briney

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:56 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Hey Gary, the originals are 3"x4". They can be made with different sizes of film like 4"x5" or 8"x10" with an enlarger, but I've only done one larger one with an enlarger. I have used a Polaroid Slide Printer to do mine because of its' simplicity of use. It's been many years since I have done any and I hear the film is harder to get now.

Joe

by Gary Briney on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:04 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
SantaFeJoe wrote:Hey Gary, the originals are 3"x4". They can be made with different sizes of film like 4"x5" or 8"x10" with an enlarger, but I've only done one larger one with an enlarger. I have used a Polaroid Slide Printer to do mine because of its' simplicity of use. It's been many years since I have done any and I hear the film is harder to get now.

Joe
Thanks Joe -- it looks as if there's a product from Fuji that may be roughly equivalent too.
G. Briney

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:40 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
That's a grand ram! Great shot! Not sure about the texture for my taste. Because we are in the digital age, it looks like noise to me- perhaps I just can't get my head around something like this that is intentional. I think it's mostly the very dark flecks on the ram that stand out. Anyway, it's very interesting and creative what you are doing here.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:58 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Hey Cynthia, part of the problem is that when it is sized at 800 px long side, it comes out much larger than the original, as well as the scan changing things slightly. I chose not to change it much in PP so that it would look more like the original. Here are two other versions. The first is simply downsized to 500 px long side to resemble the original and the second is adjusted in LR a bit to remove the "noise" and smooth it out a bit and sized at 600 px long side:
I understand that Polaroid transfers are not everyone's cup of tea, but they are simply a variant art form that is meant to resemble a watercolor more than a photograph. Im sure you will like the second repost version better than the first one.

Joe

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:12 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Hey Joe-Actually, I like the first re-post! :)The "noise" is not so exaggerated and looks lighter on the Ram. :) I sometimes use Alien Skin "Blow-up" for enlargements, as it does a pretty good job staying true to the original smaller image. I don't know how well it would work in this case-it might be that blowing up the picture spaces out the specks too much?
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:53 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks for your comments, Cynthia! This is the first time I've scanned my transfers, so I'll have to do some experimenting. I'll have to look into Alien Skin Blow Up. Thanks for the tip!

Joe

10 posts |