Petroglyph

Posted by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
My favorite petroglyph done as a Polaroid image transfer.
Copyright Joe A. Roybal
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Posted by:
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:40 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Quite a mysterious look to this one- I like the textures and colors. Wish it was a bit bigger so I could see the figure better, but the rendition is effective and interesting.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:59 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Quite a mysterious look to this one- I like the textures and colors.  Wish it was a bit bigger so I could see the figure better, but the rendition is effective and interesting.
Sorry, Cynthia! I forgot to crop the excess border before posting. I hope this one is better:

I realize the colors are not exactly the same, but I'm not sure where I adjusted them originally!!!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Gary Briney on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:21 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
An interesting treatment of a very interesting petroglyph -- what do you know about the interpretation of the drawing? Thanks for the repost by the way.
G. Briney

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:26 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Gary Briney wrote:An interesting treatment of a very interesting petroglyph -- what do you know about the interpretation of the drawing?
Thanks Cynthia and Gary for your comments!
Gary, I've been to lectures, read books about petroglyphs and even written and had articles on petroglyphs published myself, but there is really no conclusive consensus about their meanings. It's easy to speculate, but that's all it is IMO.  If you notice, the crosses at the bottom have a slightly different patina than the rest and may have been added at a later date, but I don't know for sures. This one has feet like a human with an amulet, tail and beak like an eagle, a shield and appears to be holding a knife in a human type hand.

Joe

by Gary Briney on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:43 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Thanks for the additional information -- I was wondering about the crosses, which seem a bit out of character. The rest I got. Your explanation makes perfect sense.
G. Briney

by jerryb on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:15 pm
jerryb
Forum Contributor
Very interesting rock art. Not as abstract as some. Nice effect too.
Larger sized samples of my work can be seen on Google Plus at https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JerryBarnettPhoto

by Mike in O on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:43 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Quite an advanced petrographic; our local ones tend to be stick figures (Oregon). Some of radio carbon dating puts active native cave dwellers at 14,000 years ago, hunting mega fauna before the last ice age.

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:29 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Thanks for the enlargement- much easier to see the very interesting figure.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

9 posts |