Incoming Train Pinhole

Posted by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:52 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
A pinhole image of an incoming train in motion at Lamy, NM.
Nikon D700, pinhole in plastic body cap, 1/8 sec. exposure.
Copyright Joe A. Roybal
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Posted by:
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor

by Gary Briney on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:52 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Very nice pinhole image --- it has a very appealing nostalgic feel. What would you say is the approximate focal length?
G. Briney

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:42 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks for your comments, Gary! As best I can determine, approximately a true 45mm.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:10 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Love the look of this one-matching blues, people and train. The whole composition, overall colors and mood are very pleasing. Do you post-process these at all? (i.e. sharpen, etc.)
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:54 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Love the look of this one-matching blues, people and train.  The whole composition, overall colors and mood are very pleasing. Do you post-process these at all? (i.e. sharpen, etc.)
Thanks for your comments, Cynthia! These pinhole images always need a bit of work to make them look their best (which is never sharp like an image taken with a lens). I use LR and adjust contrast first, then shadows, clarity (one of the most effective), vibrance and saturation (to bring the image back to realistic colors only), sharpening and NR, and lots of spot removal. The spot removal is because with a pinhole, every bit of dust, etc., on the sensor shows up in the image even though you would never see it in a normal image. Pinhole photography reminds me of shooting with the cheapest of lenses, but more fun since no glass is used. The size of the pinhole must be the optimum size for the distance from the pinhole to  the sensor to achieve the sharpest image. My biggest chore is to find suitable subject matter. I'm still working on that! Here is a 500 pixel (long side) version of this image that has not been processed other than resizing:
And here's the processed and cropped version, as posted above, at 500 pixels long side :

If you see a pinhole image that appears sharp, generally it is because it is posted in a small size.

Joe

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:09 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Love the look of this one-matching blues, people and train.  The whole composition, overall colors and mood are very pleasing. Do you post-process these at all? (i.e. sharpen, etc.)
Thanks for your comments, Cynthia! These pinhole images always need a bit of work to make them look their best (which is never sharp like an image taken with a lens). I use LR and adjust contrast first, then shadows, clarity (one of the most effective), vibrance and saturation (to bring the image back to realistic colors only), sharpening and NR, and lots of spot removal. The spot removal is because with a pinhole, every bit of dust, etc., on the sensor shows up in the image even though you would never see it in a normal image. Pinhole photography reminds me of shooting with the cheapest of lenses, but more fun since no glass is used. The size of the pinhole must be the optimum size for the distance from the pinhole to  the sensor to achieve the sharpest image. My biggest chore is to find suitable subject matter. I'm still working on that! Here is a 500 pixel (long side) version of this image that has not been processed other than resizing:
And here's the processed and cropped version, as posted above, at 500 pixels long side :

If you see a pinhole image that appears sharp, generally it is because it is posted in a small size.

Joe
Hi Joe

Thanks for that info. You surely have a unique approach that sounds like a lot of fun...and quite a challenge.  New and old rolled into one. Fun.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

6 posts |