Brazos Medallion

Posted by SantaFeJoe on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
An image of a medallion I discovered in a Ponderosa Pine camouflaged in the bark. I was moving out upon selling my cabin in Brazos, NM, when I noticed this cool piece just outside my door with the bark growing around it. I owned the cabin for 8 years and had never noticed it before. It is a fond memory of the time I spent up there amongst  the plentiful wildlife.
Sony DSC-H50, 15mm, f6.3@1/50 sec., onboard flash, shot in VGA. Pretty much a straight shot with only minor tweaking.
Copyright Joe A. Roybal
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Posted by:
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor

by Gary Briney on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:24 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
A well camouflaged artist's touch --- do you have an idea of the material that the medallion is made from? By the way, you've had some interesting lodging in NM!
G. Briney

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:30 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Hey Gary, I think it was brass and the greenish oxidation near the flower indicates that as well. I actually pulled it out (grudgingly) so that nobody would hit the nail holding it with a chainsaw if the tree was ever cut down. Many people were cutting down trees near their cabins in the area for fire prevention/protection. I always felt that the trees were the reason to be in the forest, so why cut them down. They also would call Game & Fish to trap and relocate the bears, which had every right to be there!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:01 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Quite an unusual combination, to say the least. I wonder who/why...? Interesting how the metal matches the wood so well. Too bad about the cutting of trees and moving bears. Around here (in Vermont) you can get a stiff fine if you attract bears with birdseed, livestock, garbage or bees, and the "nuisance" bears have to be removed or worse.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Gary Briney on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:31 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
SantaFeJoe wrote:Hey Gary, I think it was brass and the greenish oxidation near the flower indicates that as well...
Thanks Joe --- I'm sure you're right about the green oxidation.
G. Briney

by Gary Briney on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:34 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Cynthia Crawford wrote:...Around here (in Vermont) you can get a stiff fine if you attract bears with birdseed, livestock, garbage or bees...
What - no bee keepers in Vermont?! :wink:
G. Briney

6 posts |