"Bouquet of Dahlias and Notebook 2014."

Posted by jerryb on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
My wife and I went to a Matisse exhibit, and she liked one named "Bouquet of Dahlias and White Book 1923." So for our 39th anniversary I decided to make a forgery for her.

My work is not a copy but a composition based on Matisse's motifs I picked up from an hour of study at the exhibit; such as bold patterns, making the outdoors part of the indoors, altered depth of field, and the reuse of props. Like Matisse, I sculpted the scene to better understand the relationship of its parts. Except I used 3D modeling software with a 3D printer.

I started with a 100 year old virtual canvas and applied simulated paints from that time period. I also used period brushes that were downloaded from the internet. Matisse would alter his paintings over the months, often pasting bits of paper over the work to see how an alteration would look before committing it to paint. My workflow was similar. I used the commands; "Undo, Redo, Clone, Content Aware,Copy, Cut, and Paste" along with layer masks to accomplish the same thing. Using these modern techniques plus not having to wait for the paint to dry, I was able to complete this in minutes, not months. Textures were added to age the work and some restorations were done to make it seem over 90 years old.

The original file on my hard drive is purposely unsigned so it cannot be used against me in case forgery charges are brought against me. To the untrained eye my work may seam amateurish, but the discerning viewer will see that no brush stroke was wasted in the creation of this new found masterpiece.

Jerry Barnett
April 1, 2014
Larger sized samples of my work can be seen on Google Plus at https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JerryBarnettPhoto

Last edited by jerryb on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted by:
jerryb
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:01 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Thanks Jerry!!!!! I'm grinning so widely I might well be able to swallow a passing truck!!!  I am sure this might well be mistaken for the Matisse artwork that inspired you..........and the art police may be knocking on your door as I type this.......   :wink: :shock:

Humour (even the way we spell it this side of the pond) is a dying art.  Take a bow Maestro!!   8) :lol:
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by jerryb on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 pm
jerryb
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:...Humour (even the way we spell it this side of the pond) is a dying art.  Take a bow Maestro!!   8) :lol:
My Dad always said, "You are not suppose to laugh at English Humour, only grin inside."
Larger sized samples of my work can be seen on Google Plus at https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JerryBarnettPhoto

by Carol Clarke on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:24 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Your Dad was obviously destined for a career in diplomacy..... like his son.  A brilliant pair (or should that be Pear).  Makes a great change from Apple....  :P   :P
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Gary Briney on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:51 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
The perspective on the tablecloth is clearly the work of a master (that is a table isn't it?) I love the patterns and colors -- very bold!
G. Briney

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:05 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Brave soul! Matisse would definitely be impressed, especially with the peculiar pear motif! ;). Very clever but....do be careful, as Carol suggests, of the Art Police. They can spot a forgery, you know, just from the subtle details!
Thanks for the wonderful entertainment.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Vasanthi Balson on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:09 pm
Vasanthi Balson
Forum Contributor
Nice. Love the bright colors and patterns.
"When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it's your world for the moment.
 I want to give that world to someone else."
-Georgia O'Keeffe

7 posts |