Sign In

Join the largest online community for nature
photographers. An account to participate in
our forums is free! We also offer other
membership options.

Please enter the email address associated with your account. If you have not edited this in your
profile then enter the email address that you used when creating your account.

Trouble Signing In?

We apologize if you are having problems signing in. With our latest website upgrades there have been some changes that may cause a sign in problem until cookies are cleared using the steps below.
  1. Navigate to Forums Home in the website navigation bar and click on the link Delete all board cookies located under the Browse Forums page title.
  2. Close all NatureScapes tabs/windows and exit the browser entirely.
  3. Open the browser and make sure it's not opening up any NatureScapes pages.
  4. Delete the NSN-specific cookies in your browser or, if you don't have an objection, delete all cookies. The NSN cookies have either .naturescapes.net or .www.naturescapes.net as part of their name. For help with deleting cookies in your browser please check out this helpful guide on www.aboutcookies.org.
  5. Exit the browser again, reopen it, and try to sign in again.
If deleting board and browser cookies does not resolve your issue please send us an email at editors@naturescapes.net with the following information: We are committed to providing quality customer service and website support. We will respond to your email as quickly as possible.

Packed with articles, tips, workshop news, store coupons, sales alerts and more!

We respect your privacy—your email address will not be shared or sold. You may unsubscribe at any time and control which
newsletters you receive.

Moderator: Carolyn E. Wright

All times are UTC - 5 hours

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Tim Marks on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:06 pm
Tim Marks
Forum Contributor
Member #:00830
It appears that writers are running into the same problems as photographers. Here is an email exchange between Freelance Journalist Nate Thayer and Atlantic Magazine.

Atlantic has no budget?

http://natethayer.wordpress.com/2013/03/04/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-freelance-journalist-2013/
Tim Marks
Royal Oak, Michigan
http://www.photowanderer.smugmug.com

by Rocky Sharwell on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:34 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
NPR had an interesting piece on this and other similar occurrences.
Rocky Sharwell

by Gary Briney on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:40 pm
Gary Briney
Global Moderator
Member #:00336
Good grief -- I would never have guessed Atlantic was so cheap! A hundred bucks / article -- when they pay?!!

[edit]
I just stumbled across this -- My Amazon best seller made me nothing.
G. Briney
Global Moderator, NatureScapes.net

by Bill Chambers on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:32 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
It seems that everybody wants something for nothing - pitiful!
When life deals you lemons, make lemonade; when it deals you tomatoes, make Bloody Mary's.
Unattributed

Please visit my web site, Enchanted Light Photography.
Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida

by Marshall Black on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:03 pm
Marshall Black
Lifetime Member
Member #:00417
I recently read that a UK National newspaper offers a one size fits all fee of ......wait for it.....£30 - say $45. No matter the size or importance of the story, that's the fee. Similar happens to photographers through a newspaper deal through agencies.
Odd that 'personalities' such as the mayor of London, Boris, can manage to get something over £1K for his column.
Wonder why they don't have a budget for real journalists/freelancers?

by Gary Briney on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:57 am
Gary Briney
Global Moderator
Member #:00336
Blind cost-cutting is everywhere -- a few days ago a major newspaper, the Chicago Sun-Times, fired all it's photographers (20 staff, plus another 10 freelance). Incredible...
G. Briney
Global Moderator, NatureScapes.net

by fredcor on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:08 pm
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
If photographers are getting replaced by cell phones, it doesn't give one much confidence for camera manufacturers' in the future.
Frederick Lat Correa

by Steve Cirone on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:55 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Perhaps things are looking super great for camera manufacturers, Frederick.  

With the explosion of photography popularity with the digital age, seems everybody now wants a camera.

Folks want to know how and where to make their own pictures.  Thus the proliferation of all the photo tours and workshops, which for me, is a much more rewarding way to make a living compared to working for publications and promoters.

If cell phones get so good they replace our big heavy DSLR rigs, then I say, Hurray!  I am not a fan of carrying all that weight.
San Diego Photography Tours & Workshops
Steve Cirone
Techniques/ Locations/ Equipment
http://www.SteveCirone.com

Last edited by Steve Cirone on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

by BobD on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:56 am
BobD
Forum Contributor
Honestly Steve I think we're seeing the beginning of a lull in photography as a popular hobby. I've seen a noticeable slow-down in participation in a number of photography forums (not just wildlife/nature sites). Some of that is moving over to social networking sites like facebook but I don't think that explains all of it.

When I look back to the late sixties and early seventies I remember that photography was a very hot hobby. Virtually every department store and drug store chain had a photography department chocked full of SLR cameras, lenses, flashes and other accessories. As the seventies drew to a close interest in photography as a serious hobby seemed to begin to wane. Department store chains started carrying fewer and fewer cameras and almost no accessories. People moved from being serious shutter-bugs with SLRs to casual shooters with simple point and shoot cameras.

Enter digital imaging technology and a rebirth of interest in serious photography. Once again you can walk into a discount department store like Walmart and find a variety of DLSRs and some accessories. And, of course, there are tons of options for buying gear from internet resellers. Forums dedicated to photography started springing up and enjoying lots of traffic. Folks were taking photography seriously again!

Over time cameras are becoming more and more automated, requiring less and less knowledge on the part of the user. Not only are DSLR cameras getting better at doing the thinking, the technology has trickled into the point and shoot class of cameras and even cell phones! You really don't have to know much to make an "okay" photo. And I have little doubt that "okay" is good enough for a heck of a lot of people. Camera manufacturers have enjoy a nice run with folks scrambling to buy the latest, greatest newest thing they offered. They taken advantage of the popularity to push lens and accessory prices to nearly outlandish costs. I notice that there's less excitement at the release of new cameras now. More and more photographers... amateur and pro... are hesitant to upgrade. Look at the recent moves by photo software giant Adobe. Is the creative cloud about greed and increasing profit, or about setting themselves up with a cushion for the coming slow down in demand?

As the popularity of photography begins to drop, equipment and software sales lag and publishers continue to use free cell phone and point and shoot images to fill their needs there are going to be fewer and fewer folks interested in photo tours and workshops. Granted the demand for those will never totally go away but I do believe you're going to see a drop in overall participation.

As Bob Dylan said, "the times they are a changing."

by Steve Cirone on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:56 am
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Yes, I do agree, Bob, times are changing.  Today, multiple photo meadows cater to every niche.  

But on my side of the mountain I see a photographic explosion of intense activity.  I saw the photo thing back in the film days as a relatively esoteric activity.  Now I barely keep up with it.  My merry prankster friend, www.KenRockwell.com, has become a B&H/ Adorama click through multimillionaire by merely discussing photo gear in a goofball contrarian way on his website, no small accomplishment.

My other tour buddies are swamped too.  A am hanging on with local tours here in San Diego.  So, as a hobby, photography, at least on my side of the mountain, looks to be more popular than ever.
San Diego Photography Tours & Workshops
Steve Cirone
Techniques/ Locations/ Equipment
http://www.SteveCirone.com

by Carolyn E. Wright on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:39 am
Carolyn E. Wright
Member #:00282
Good points, Steve. We have to evolve. We can't insist that others continue to pay us for services they don't want.
Carolyn E. Wright, Esq.
Lawyer for Photographers; NSN Moderator and Contributing Writer
Photo Attorney®-www.photoattorney.com

11 posts | 

People Who Like This: