« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:54 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
So, that's the secret.  Forget petitions and lobbying.  The sighting of a blandings turtle, which is endangered in Ontario crossing a road has put a halt to a wind energy development in eastern Ontario around the Prince Edward Point area. 

They moved the previous link.

Here's a new one.
http://ottawawindconcerns.com/2015/04/21/ontario-wind-farm-halted-by-endangered-turtles/

Last edited by OntPhoto on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:43 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
:D
Turtles were here on this earth long before Man ever was, and will be here still long after man has gone. A successful evolutionary design if there ever was one.

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:29 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
There is nothing in the link that I could see about Blanding's or any other turtle species.

Robert :)
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:02 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:There is nothing in the link that I could see about Blanding's or any other turtle species.

Robert  :)

Looks like they moved the article.  Here is a new link.

http://ottawawindconcerns.com/2015/04/21/ontario-wind-farm-halted-by-endangered-turtles/

This story started in 2013.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/07/04/blandings_turtles_halt_wind_farm_at_ostrander_point.html

Large landowners used to (they still do) fear the Loggerhead Shrike here in eastern Ontario.  If one is spotted on the land it puts a stop to any development that may have been planned.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:08 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
I guess it is all in how one holds nature, success and money....in the heart.      

Some, as I, would feel privileged (no...honored!...yes, honored) to own a large parcel with an endangered species on it.   I would enjoy doing what I could to see that species prosper.  

It's been said many time before, Congress should have named the Endangered Species Act of 1973 (ESA), the Endangered Habitat Act of 1973.    Some people not only do not get it....they refuse to get it.  It is about habitat requirements and the diversity of native species.  It is not terribly difficult to understand.  But most just do not care enough to want to know.   And that is why the ESA was made 

"Land Development" is an oxymoron.  Unregulated "land development" is what brought on the Endangered Species Act in the first place.  

There are countless many who are out to do away with the ESA.  We knew it would come to this.  It is not going to stop.  It is going to get worse, until and unless we begin working on the problem of human population growth.

All world governments must begin talking about and implementing zero human population growth.  This is a no-brainer.  It is shocking that the entire world is not yet addressing this.  It is a major part of the problem.  Isn't China the only country that addresses the problem of too many people in the world?   Yet, we in America, have not even begun to discuss the problem. 

In the meantime, the ESA remains the Holy Grail of environmental laws.  And we will do whatever it takes to keep the ESA intact….as it is.  We will not fail at this.   And yes, including law suits.  The US Fish and Wildlife Service must sometimes be forced to uphold the ESA.  It is a tough job and getting tougher.   It is the way it is and it will stay as it is.  That is why I have come to revere such organizations as the Center for Biological Diversity.  Go to the link and have a look at the people who work here.  These are some of the people I take my hat off to.  The staff is full of attorneys.  That is what it has come to.  We do not need more wildlife biologists folks.  We already have the life histores of species we need to make quality decisions.

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/about/staff/

We who feel very deeply about this, have seen this coming for decades.  Again, it is going to get worse until governments address the problem of an ever-expanding, unchecked human population growth.  This whole problem illustrates the inability and unwillingness of governments to act effectively to these ends.  

My grand daughter was recently accepted to an applied mathematics program at Florida Institute of Technology and University of Colorado.  With my daughters permission, I spoke to my grand daughter with my opinion.  I told her that Florida politicians have been unwilling to address its problem of an unbridled human population growth.  Florida recently passed New York in human population.  Just one example is that Florida is racing toward water shortages.  My beloved Everglades will become 100% salt marsh.  It is inevitable!!!  It is called salt water intrusion.  There is a limit to the amount of water under the peninsula.  But they are not talking about that.  They are talking about bringing more people down to Florida.  The net gain is 800 new people per day.  Each one uses 200 more gallons per day.  It is going to come to an end, one way or the other.  BTW…Caitlyn chose Colorado.  Oops….I just thought of something:  Is not Colorado one of those states that is currently involved with water shortages?  They have a huge problem out there in California and surroundings.  

And now corporations are salivating (no…. fighting with local and state governments) to privatize water resources.  It is all about money to them.  They must be stopped folks!

There are many who would paint me into a corner with the question…."So you would say that this endangered animal (as an example) is more important than people?"  If they want to put it that way, they are free to do so.  In fact....Yes, it has come to the point where habitat for nature IS more important than human beings being allowed to procreate without limits.

To think otherwise is so selfish of the human species.  

I may be wrong on a few points here, but the gist is a bulls-eye.  And I welcome opposing points or another perspective on this.

More on Florida's problems later.

Robert King
http://itsaboutnature.net
Topic Locked  

by Mark Picard on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:12 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:I guess it is all in how one holds nature, success and money....in the heart.      

Some, as I, would feel privileged (no...honored!...yes, honored) to own a large parcel with an endangered species on it.   I would enjoy doing what I could to see that species prosper.  

It's been said many time before, Congress should have named the Endangered Species Act of 1973 (ESA), the Endangered Habitat Act of 1973.    Some people not only do not get it....they refuse to get it.  It is about habitat requirements and the diversity of native species.  It is not terribly difficult to understand.  But most just do not care enough to want to know.   And that is why the ESA was made 

"Land Development" is an oxymoron.  Unregulated "land development" is what brought on the Endangered Species Act in the first place.  

There are countless many who are out to do away with the ESA.  We knew it would come to this.  It is not going to stop.  It is going to get worse, until and unless we begin working on the problem of human population growth.

All world governments must begin talking about and implementing zero human population growth.  This is a no-brainer.  It is shocking that the entire world is not yet addressing this.  It is a major part of the problem.  Isn't China the only country that addresses the problem of too many people in the world?   Yet, we in America, have not even begun to discuss the problem. 

In the meantime, the ESA remains the Holy Grail of environmental laws.  And we will do whatever it takes to keep the ESA intact….as it is.  We will not fail at this.   And yes, including law suits.  The US Fish and Wildlife Service must sometimes be forced to uphold the ESA.  It is a tough job and getting tougher.   It is the way it is and it will stay as it is.  That is why I have come to revere such organizations as the Center for Biological Diversity.  Go to the link and have a look at the people who work here.  These are some of the people I take my hat off to.  The staff is full of attorneys.  That is what it has come to.  We do not need more wildlife biologists folks.  We already have the life histores of species we need to make quality decisions.

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/about/staff/

We who feel very deeply about this, have seen this coming for decades.  Again, it is going to get worse until governments address the problem of an ever-expanding, unchecked human population growth.  This whole problem illustrates the inability and unwillingness of governments to act effectively to these ends.  

My grand daughter was recently accepted to an applied mathematics program at Florida Institute of Technology and University of Colorado.  With my daughters permission, I spoke to my grand daughter with my opinion.  I told her that Florida politicians have been unwilling to address its problem of an unbridled human population growth.  Florida recently passed New York in human population.  Just one example is that Florida is racing toward water shortages.  My beloved Everglades will become 100% salt marsh.  It is inevitable!!!  It is called salt water intrusion.  There is a limit to the amount of water under the peninsula.  But they are not talking about that.  They are talking about bringing more people down to Florida.  The net gain is 800 new people per day.  Each one uses 200 more gallons per day.  It is going to come to an end, one way or the other.  BTW…Caitlyn chose Colorado.  Oops….I just thought of something:  Is not Colorado one of those states that is currently involved with water shortages?  They have a huge problem out there in California and surroundings.  

And now corporations are salivating (no…. fighting with local and state governments) to privatize water resources.  It is all about money to them.  They must be stopped folks!

There are many who would paint me into a corner with the question…."So you would say that this endangered animal (as an example) is more important than people?"  If they want to put it that way, they are free to do so.  In fact....Yes, it has come to the point where habitat for nature IS more important than human beings being allowed to procreate without limits.

To think otherwise is so selfish of the human species.  

I may be wrong on a few points here, but the gist is a bulls-eye.  And I welcome opposing points or another perspective on this.

More on Florida's problems later.

Robert King
http://itsaboutnature.net
+1 :)
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops
Topic Locked  

by Tom Reichner on Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:38 am
Tom Reichner
Forum Contributor
Good! Wind farms are horrible environmental travesties that destroy untold thousands of acres of wildlife habitat. It's hard to believe that they are still building these things, given the damage they do to the environment.
Wildlife photographed in the wild

http://www.tomreichner.com/Wildlife
Topic Locked  

7 posts |