Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by pleverington on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:51 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Maybe ten-fifteen years ago I was watching a documentary series made by Michael Woods called "Legacy". The first episode gripped my imagination as the camera panned out over the desert plain from an elevated plateau and there were all these small mountains that rather looked like someone had actually placed them there. In fact they were ancient cities, the first cities, like 50 of them, and all were now nothing but a heap of rubble.They all had perished and were never reoccupied because the people in their ignorance depleted the soils and allowed erosion to take the soils until a point had been reached that all the land about the city was barren.

It seems to me people feel rather helpless these days to stop the juggernaut of environmental destruction that most actually do nothing. But here is something positive everyone can do..

Please read this page with an open mind and read it through completely and thoroughly. Many of the statements are accurate as I have read them from their sources previously. Most all statements are backed up with references.

Being conscious is the first step......

http://www.raw-food-health.net/SaveTheEnvironment.html

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

by Joel Eade on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:50 am
Joel Eade
Forum Contributor
If our government would halt farm subsidy money and let the market work then the price of meat would make it so unpopular the production would become minimal and farmers would look for other income sources such as fruit bearing trees. Could be a big economic problem for those with land in higher latitudes. I don't know how it works in other countries.

One thing for sure....it appears that the potential health hazards of meat will be a non-issue very soon since production will be forced into a radical reduction and the price will be unaffordable to most.

Meat lovers better eat up while you can:)

(just kidding Paul....interesting article)
Topic Locked  

by Scott Baxter on Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:17 pm
Scott Baxter
Forum Contributor
Paul, I agree that many of the statements are accurate. I also agree that meat production is very resource intensive. The general themes are good. Where I struggle is this page is designed to sell product not make people more informed. It is almost offensive that it presents itself as real research and science and has more gimmick adds in it than almost anything I have seen on the web. A lot of factors contributed to the downfall of civilizations and in many cases it is documented that populations grew large during favorable climate periods and developed agricultural and societal practices that were unsustainable during less favorable climates. Looking more carefully greed and selfishness especially among the ruling elite was a primary factor in the unsustainable nature of the society. We are all guilty of that greed and selfishness to some degree and it is something to reflect on and take action on but I think we are better served getting our information from something other than an advertisement that is really still trying to get us to over consume, they just want us to do it in a way that benefits them. I fully support your message but I don't care much for the intent of the article.
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:38 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Scott Baxter wrote:Paul, I agree that many of the statements are accurate.  I also agree that meat production is very resource intensive.  The general themes are good.  Where I struggle is this page is designed to sell product not make people more informed.  It is almost offensive that it presents itself as real research and science and has more gimmick adds in it than almost anything I have seen on the web.  A lot of factors contributed to the downfall of civilizations and in many cases it is documented that populations grew large during favorable climate periods and developed agricultural and societal practices that were unsustainable during less favorable climates.  Looking more carefully greed and selfishness especially among the ruling elite was a primary factor in the unsustainable nature of the society.  We are all guilty of that greed and selfishness to some degree and it is something to reflect on and take action on but I think we are better served getting our information from something other than an advertisement that is really still trying to get us to over consume, they just want us to do it in a way that benefits them. I fully support your message but I don't care much for the intent of the article.
Boy Scott you had me scratching my head for a minute cause there's not a single advertisement on my screen. But then I think I figured it out--I have that "Adblocker" program installed as I watch thousands of you tube documentaries-- all with  zero ads. You  should install it as it's free. But honestly he's just a single person and a site and statements made are referenced so one could follow up on what he says. He does say this about advertising:

"However, I do not allow advertising I feel conflicts with this site's goal of spreading health. Supplements and superfoods, for instance, are not something I intend to advertise."

I hate ads too especially too many and in my face, so can't fault your reaction, but I think his content is accurate. Check out adblocker though because the ads apparently will  create a distortion of the content info's sincerity.

I don't think but a very few fully understand how much our insatiable appetites are destroying our world. At least our natural world.  No government is going to grab that political hot potato.  Much like the grass roots beginnings in the 60's and 70's we will probably need  to  do the same. If we don't buy.... they stop selling. But we need some changes in our thinking I'm starting to believe.

Paul
Paul Leverington

Last edited by pleverington on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

by Scott Baxter on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:31 pm
Scott Baxter
Forum Contributor
Paul,
I think I will try adblocker thanks for the advice. As I said I generally agree with the content of the article just not all of the marketing attached to it.
Scott
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:01 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Joel Eade wrote:If our government would halt farm subsidy money and let the market work then the price of meat would make it so unpopular the production would become minimal and farmers would look for other income sources such as fruit bearing trees. Could be a big economic problem for those with land in higher latitudes. I don't know how it works in other countries.

One thing for sure....it appears that the potential health hazards of meat will be a non-issue very soon since production will be forced into a radical reduction and the price will be unaffordable to most.  

Meat lovers better eat up while you can:)

(just kidding Paul....interesting article)
Huge point. Like gasoline...price goes up people start to conserve. Unfortunately it's the poor and lower income levels that suffer trough sacrifice the most, but they are the masses. This may indeed happen some day with meat but when?  If one thinks about it, meat is still relatively cheap enough. If a steak say did cost 25 bucks I guess that would do it, but at 7 dollars still affordable to most.

It brings up an aspect of our diets that usually does not grab the headlines, at least at first, and that is that our diets are certainly driven no small way by markets and profit. Even those who claim to sell "organic" and"all natural" don't really know what's healthy for us.

Any basic google search will bring up any number of diet strategies that all claim to be the answer to what we should be eating. I'm not referring to weight loss diets alone. It seems that if a scientific study comes out and makes a claim based on hard evidence, the reaction is to grab on to that one fact and run with it as if it is the whole story.The truth I believe is complicated as it is convoluted. You not only have such factors as exercise but you have genetics, environment, temperature, bacteria, stress, happiness, food quantity, diet imbalances, length of daylight, and so on factors which all affect health, so it's never certain on many fronts exactly what or which combination of factors is having the greatest results. Then add to that the confusion the marketers throw at us, is there any wonder there is such a wide and varied field of opinions of what we should eat in our diets? So I look to the past and our more simple diets we evolved with eating. No trains, no trucks, no farms bringing to our table the huge variety we now consume, but just what we adapted too and evolved with eating.

Machines and government support have transformed farming into an entity all it's own and needs to be recognized as a factor of how and why we eat as we do. Definitely.

Paul
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

6 posts |