« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Shawn P. Carey on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:13 pm
Shawn P. Carey
Forum Contributor
This week I posted seven short videos from my trip to Louisiana where I documented the BP oil disaster.

http://www.shawnpcarey.com/page7/page19/page19.html

Videos were edited by my coproducer and video editor Jim Grady and all graphics designed by Sabina Grady.

The first two videos are of Leanne Sarco who's title is Interpretive Rangerat Grand Isle State Park, Louisiana. Leanne took myself and few others to a section of beach on her day off to see all the oil that was still there some eight weeks later. Most if not all of the oil had sunk into the sand and was NOT visible. So if you were to look at this beach you would not think there was a problem with oil. Watch the video and see how much she digs up just from this one small area, it's SHOCKING!

The third video is an interview with local businessman Patrick Shay standing in front of his "mock cemetery".

The next four are all interviews with Drew Wheelan of the American Birding Association. Drew has been in Louisiana and the Gulf almost from the beginning of the BP oil disaster. Check out the ABA web site for all of his reports.

http://www.aba.org/gulf/

Remember many shorebirds are now migrating south and some will end up in Louisiana. For those that do they may find food resources which are now limited or contaminated. Either way these are not favorable conditions for any birds spending time in areas which have been impacted by the BP oil disaster.
Shawn P. Carey
Migration Productions
Boston, MA
http://www.migrationproductions.com
Topic Locked  

by Jim Zipp on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:57 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
Shawn, That first clip of her digging all that oil out of the sand is a great illustration of how so much trouble is lurking just below the surface while looking "not bad" above. I've heard you can still dig oil out of the sand in places where spills happened 20+ years ago similar to that as well. Out of sight, out of mind it seems. These should be shown right after the nonstop BP tv ads telling us everything is getting back to normal.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com
Topic Locked  

by Shawn P. Carey on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:02 pm
Shawn P. Carey
Forum Contributor
Jim GREAT points and this is what I have been trying to get across to people since my return.

Keep in mind I was only there for one week. If you really want to know even more check out Drew Wheelan's info on the ABA web site. In fact I just spoke with him today and Drew reports tar balls washing up on shore on the public beaches on Grand Isle, and no one there to clean them up.

From what I can tell this is an exercise in damage control so BP can spend less money making people think they are taking care of the cleanup then actually cleaning up the oil.

When I spoke with some of the fisherman on Grand Isle they would tell me BP was dropping dispersants on the oil was cheaper then having to clean it up, the locals called it burying the evidence.

Cleaning up the oil would cost more money and they have shareholders they are responsible to so the hell with the clean up.

I'm sorry to say this but not enough people care about what is taking place down there. If this were on the East Coast heads would roll with BP and with the federal government. Can anyone image oil covering the coast from Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New Hampshire and so little progress taking place once the oil hit the shore?

Sorry to sound as if I'm a little "preachy" but the birding community and the wildlife photographers two groups which in my opinion should have been leading the charge have not been outspoken enough or involved enough. I've said it before on this web site and others but if we do not care then why would anyone else?

I have one foot in the bird camp the other with the photographers so I know both groups as well as anyone. The birders want to see birds and the photographers want to photograph them. Both groups want to "consume" for their enjoyment (I get that) however the largest oil disaster in US history takes place and you would be hard pressed to see either group down there in any numbers as to make BP or the Government take notice. By the way this is not just my opinion this is what I would hear from the people down there involved with trying to protect wildlife, beaches and the gulf. Where is the outrage!

Am I a little pissed off! Your darn right I am and I am going to continue to beat this drum as long and as loud as I can.

Here's a little test for people on this web site. How many people reading this post have been to Gulf Coast of Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama when oil was washing on shore or when there was cleanup taking place?

How many people reading this post have donated money to any of the groups like the American Birding Association and their efforts to help?

I hope many people reply yes and prove me wrong.

I may go back to Louisiana in September to do some follow up interviews and check on the progress or lack of progress.

Red Sox won 6 to 3 vs Seattle, I'll sleep a little better tonight.
Shawn P. Carey
Migration Productions
Boston, MA
http://www.migrationproductions.com
Topic Locked  

3 posts |