« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:55 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
This has been going on for years and islanders are still fighting to stop the proposal to put up 36 massively tall wind turbines including 4 near the famous Owl Woods.  Good excerpt of an article about the history of the "Owl Woods".  I have heard the story before but a bit more detail than what I already know. 

http://www.protectamherstisland.ca/owl-woods/

I know a birder in Montreal who reminisces sadly but with fond memories about the once rural Nun's Island where a variety of owls could be found with frequency before the island was built up. When I heard his stories about Nun's Island in its hey day, it reminded me of an Amherst Island. 
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:56 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
These wind turbines are an abomination for rural areas, essentially industrializing all our open spaces.
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:42 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:These wind turbines are an abomination for rural areas, essentially industrializing all our open spaces.

Not to mention all the other bad things associated with them.  From Amherst Island you can look over to Wolfe Island where the massive wind turbines dot the landscape.  I started to count them but lost track; there are that many.
Topic Locked  

3 posts |