All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 42 posts | 
by pleverington on Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:25 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:

Now I think I'll go out and get a Big Mac with cooked meat, lettuce, pickles, sesame seeds, wheat, cheese and that special sauce that makes it so palatable!!! Sounds like a well balanced meal to me!

Joe
Somebody stop him...Somebody stop him!!!!!

he-he...
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

Last edited by pleverington on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:43 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Seems like the same thing applies to vegetables. Most are cooked either for flavor or tenderizing. Granted some are eaten raw, but the majority of vegetables are cooked to make them taste better through additional spices,e.g. salt, pepper, stew meat etc. Even salads normally use dressing to make them taste better. They just aren't flavorful as a stand alone meal. 
Yes they are Joe. They are just as tasty without salt, butter, cream sauces, spices. Cept okra...eyyaaaa--yuck...... Even more so to me. Once you stop adulterating your food you'll know what I am saying. We program our brains. I suppose that's why some people can eat insects and others can't, or dog meat, or worms.....
If anyone is considering diet changes, mindset that actually makes you taste everything in a different manner is a big part of your battle. But fruits seem to get left out of discussions and they are loaded with flavor and loads of good nutrients.

There's nothing wrong with cooking ...it has been a total huge factor in our evolution or at least our development. I can't find any definitive answer to when actually humans started to cook. Some very reputable sources saymaybe even two million years ago some say only 20,000 years ago. But as far as raw meat versus raw friuits and veges.....raw meat ....without some kind of special prep is a tough meal where fruits and veges are a matter of just digging in, cooked or not, spices or not, sauces or not.  Not that anyone needs to...just saying for argument....

If you watch "New Scandanavian Cooking" with Andeas Viestad:

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/new-scandinavian-cooking/

you will see him preparing raw reindeer meat and raw fish.
Joe the link took me to a general front page to the show..looks interesting though. If you can a direct link in to the episode that has the items you mention and I'd give it a go...

But this is grabbing at straws. If everyone would run around eating raw reindeer meat I guess I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Your always going to find exceptions. It's not about absolutes. A cow might chew on a bone if it was hungry enough. A lion probably would eat a carrot if it was hungry enough. Doesn't make the former a carnivore or the later a herbivore or either one an omnivore. Go any where in the world you'll find different diets. Some cook finds away to prepare raw meat so it's palatable.... fine. It would not be proof that we can and should be raw meat eaters. Look up the history of cooking and what it has meant for our ability to even be here. I found it very interesting. But pointing out exceptions does not take the place of the more significant trends and norms, especially when talking about the paleo  record.

I still say that it isn't so different from salad dressing or cooking vegetables with spices or other vegetables to make them appetizing and most people also cut vegetables into smaller pieces for chewing ease, including salads. Yes, some people like a raw diet, but not many. Check your fridge
Well take an onion, or an apple, or a pear, or a green bean, or a snap pea pod, or some lettuce, or a cucumber, or even a carrot, and bite a hunk off and then do the same to a raw 24 oz steak....and then tell us which one was easier to chew and swallow.. Not even close Joe...

Right now I'd say 90% to 95% of my diet is raw foods either served that way or steamed. So that's what's in the fridge. I didn't think this one out ahead of time as a strategy......it was not by design...... I just actually am sick of anything but raw or steamed vegetables. Like a can of vegetables would be like mush to eat for me. But we do cook a lot of stuff now that otherwise would be tougher to eat raw. We season everything and smother and hide it's otherwise natural satisfying taste. A lot of healthy foods in the vegetable department that would otherwise provide great nourishment and fiber are cooked to death and smothered in some sauce that takes away as much as it pleases and those vegetables never yield what eating them raw or lightly steamed would. We all do get very used to a certain way of eating. I was figuring to work that in somewhere sometime so I guess now is a good enough time. Since changing my diet I have definitely changed as to what is appealing to me. Re-programming the brain or breaking habits I guess. But what I used to enjoy is not the same as what I enjoy eating now. That kitchen  sink recipe which I'm sure has some rolling their eyeballs, is all raw and slightly steamed veges for the most part, is probably 80% of my diet. When I wake up that's what I am wishing for, not fried eggs and buttered toast, hash browns, bacon, sausage and so on.  And because it takes a  while to chew veges, I stop eating long before I would have if still on that all American junk diet. That is just  too heavy.  I've lost 15 lbs by the way with out a thought about it since changing diet...And it feels "clean" to eat veges if that counts for anything...

Regarding the Panda being an omnivore, only 1% of it's diet is meat or insects. The cat and dog families are generally considered carnivores, but they also eat grass at times and coyotes eat a lot of juniper berries in this area. Hummingbirds eat insects. Does that make them omnivores? There are few animals that don't eat both meat and plants. I believe that the classification is based on what constitutes the majority on a creatures diet. And what about winter when there are few greens in the wild? How would we survive then? 
Like I said earlier Joe these animals like the Panda are not brought into existence as 99% bamboo eaters when they evolved to be Pandas. In fact there is no exact point in time that they became all of a sudden Pandas. They like everything else have transitions from one thing to another to another and so on, and little doubt we are doing the same. Any quick read on evolution makes that clear. If Pandas were exposed to more meat they would eat more meat. Their range is small so whatever that local area gave up for food is what they adapted too. In their case bamboo shoots.

But the definition of omnivore is that they eat both. But some animals are your true omnivores and for others it's incidental  thing, or just for survival, or for other reasons besides digestion as in my next sentence..

Cats and dogs mostly eat grasses by the way so it balls up around bones and other hard sharp objects, which then makes them a round object. Much easier to pass.

If we need meat to survive then we eat meat. People in war torn cities that were starving ate the glue from book bindings and tree bark. Doesn't make them literary scholars or tree huggers. :wink:

Now I think I'll go out and get a Big Mac with cooked meat, lettuce, pickles, sesame seeds, wheat, cheese and that special sauce that makes it so palatable!!! Sounds like a well balanced meal to me!

Joe
Joe ya gonna eat that burger raw and demonstrate your true carnivorous nature or are you going to whimp out and prove my point by having them cook it? :D

Paul
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:14 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Pandas:

--- Quote ---Despite its taxonomic classification as a carnivore, the Giant Panda has a diet that is primarily herbivorous, which consists almost exclusively of bamboo. However, the Giant Panda still has the digestive system of a carnivore and does not have the ability to digest cellulose efficiently, and thus derives little energy and little protein from consumption of bamboo. The average Giant Panda eats as much as 9 to 14 kg (20 to 30 pounds) of bamboo shoots a day. Because the Giant Panda consumes a diet low in nutrition, it is important for it to keep its digestive tract full. The limited energy input imposed on it by its diet has affected the panda's behavior. The Giant Panda tends to limit its social interactions and avoids steeply sloping terrain in order to limit its energy expenditures.

--Quote--Despite its taxonomic classification as a carnivoran, the giant panda's diet is primarily herbivorous, consisting almost exclusively of bamboo.[22] However, the giant panda still has the digestive system of a carnivore, as well as carnivore-specific genes,[33] and thus derives little energy and little protein from consumption of bamboo. Its ability to digest cellulose is ascribed to the microbes in its gut. Pandas are born with sterile intestines, and require bacteria obtained from their mother's feces to digest vegetation.

So similar to a koala bear, without this bacteria from moms poop, a panda could not eat and digest bamboo. Well that's interesting. So basically the panda has adapted...not evolved...to a different diet.. Big, big difference....

Paul
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:52 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here's one for you, Paul:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02252.html

And another:

http://www.andreasviestad.com/Site/eng- ... beria.html

I have also eaten jerky that is only sun dried and not toasted afterwards! I guess that makes me a Barbarian, huh??? But I also like raw potatoes!!!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:46 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here are a couple more links for you, Paul:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_foodism

http://discovermagazine.com/2004/oct/inuit-paradox

http://www.drmarks-holistic-health.com/ ... d-102.html

Just Google "Eating Raw Meats" and you'll find plenty more. Now, I really draw the line at raw oysters and meats as well. Just my preference. I prefer jerky oven toasted, as well, just to be honest, and my potatoes cooked.

Read on this link under "Nutrition" and "Eating Habits and Food Preparation":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_diet

Are you going to tell them that they are meant to be vegetarians or herbivores???

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:16 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Here are a couple more links for you, Paul
:Joe the links seem to prove all my points even further.

As I have been saying, unless we find a way to prepare raw meat such as cooking, drying, smoking, seasoning, dipping, thin slicing etc. we are not ever going to find it palatable. And I believe there's a reason for this. Instinctively we know if we pick a peach and it is ripe we are going to have an incredible taste sensation full of flavor. Any fruit just about the same. Try that with a raw piece of liver or butt meat, and you not only have a chewing battle on your hands, but also are not going to enjoy the flavor or texture at all. The only way to make meat palatable is to cook it or prepare in a way so that it is. No surprise of this fact that there are many foods including the grains that need cooking preparations too. But fruits, and most tubers, berries, insects, as we lived on going back to 2 million years ago and further ....do not. Our diet now is only a ten thousand years old one as far as grain eating because of the advent of agriculture, and cooking has maybe only been around for less than a thousand years. Meat I'm thinking surely was cooked earlier than that, but exactly when seems to be a big debate amongst researchers. We adapted to a new food source and will always do that for survival, but we have  not been given time enough for adaptive evolution to of changed us much from a primarily plant diet...at least not without cooking.

Joe did you even read the article???

(Blue is from the article you posted..red is some more sensible info that debunks meat eating diets like the Inuit ones)

First off from the very first source I found looking for how healthy the Inupiat and Inuit  indians actually are.

Inuit Greenlanders, who historically have had limited access to fruits and vegetables, have the worst longevity statistics in North America. Research from the past and present shows that they die on the average about 10 years younger and have a higher rate of cancer than the overall Canadian population.1…
that

…We now know that greatly increasing the consumption of vegetables, legumes, fruits, and raw nuts and seeds (and greatly decreasing the consumption of animal products) offers profound increased longevity potential, due in large part to broad symphony of life-extending phytochemical nutrients that a vegetable-based diet contains. By taking advantage of the year-round availability of high-quality plant foods, we have a unique opportunity to live both healthier and longer than ever before in human history.

Getting back to the article you posted on the Inuit diet the author makes it supremely clear a diet on just meat, muscle tissue, will get you sick if not kill you.

Beluga was one she liked; raw muktuk, which is whale skin with its underlying blubber, she definitely did not. “To me it has a chew-on-a-tire consistency,” she says, “but to many people it’s a mainstay.”

Ya gotta chew blubber if you hold the Inuit diet up as a healthy one!!!!!!  Oh man what a bummer!  And liver has to be eaten raw too to get the nutrients out of it. Cause that's all they had ....that's what they ate. A blubber restaurant would go broke on day one anywhere else where something else to eat was available.

Inland dwellers took advantage of caribou feeding on tundra mosses, lichens, and plants too tough for humans to stomach (though predigested vegetation in the animals’ paunches became dinner as well). Coastal people exploited the sea. The main nutritional challenge was avoiding starvation in late winter if primary meat sources became too scarce or lean.

Yep.....  eating liver, brains, kidneys, testicles, heart, stomach contents, all washed down with a glass of blood is what else will be required of one to obtain the nutrients necessary for survival in extremely cold climes eating a meat diet.

Raw caribou liver supplied almost 24 milligrams, seal brain close to 15 milligrams, and raw kelp more than 28 milligrams. Still higher levels were found in whale skin and muktuk.

Wherever they could the Inuit went to great measures to find whatever they could in the way of plant life as they knew the nutrients were vital. And an all   animal diet was NOT survivable.

The unusual makeup of the far-northern diet led Loren Cordain, a professor of evolutionary nutrition at Colorado State University at Fort Collins, to make an intriguing observation. Four years ago, Cordain reviewed the macronutrient content (protein, carbohydrates, fat) in the diets of 229 hunter-gatherer groups listed in a series of journal articles collectively known as the Ethnographic Atlas. These are some of the oldest surviving human diets. In general, hunter-gatherers tend to eat more animal protein than we do in our standard Western diet, with its reliance on agriculture and carbohydrates derived from grains and starchy plants. Lowest of all in carbohydrate, and highest in combined fat and protein, are the diets of peoples living in the Far North, where they make up for fewer plant foods with extra fish. What’s equally striking, though, says Cordain, is that these meat-and-fish diets also exhibit a natural “protein ceiling.” Protein accounts for no more than 35 to 40 percent of their total calories, which suggests to him that’s all the protein humans can comfortably handle.
This ceiling, Cordain thinks, could be imposed by the way we process protein for energy. The simplest, fastest way to make energy is to convert carbohydrates into glucose, our body’s primary fuel. But if the body is out of carbs, it can burn fat, or if necessary, break down protein. The name given to the convoluted business of making glucose from protein is gluconeogenesis. It takes place in the liver, uses a dizzying slew of enzymes, and creates nitrogen waste that has to be converted into urea and disposed of through the kidneys. On a truly traditional diet, says Draper, recalling his studies in the 1970s, Arctic people had plenty of protein but little carbohydrate, so they often relied on gluconeogenesis. Not only did they have bigger livers to handle the additional work but their urine volumes were also typically larger to get rid of the extra urea. Nonetheless, there appears to be a limit on how much protein the human liver can safely cope with: Too much overwhelms the liver’s waste-disposal system, leading to protein poisoning—nausea, diarrhea, wasting, and death.

Here it's made clear too much protein is bad. What I read out of it is that if one does not consume everything of an animal and get at least some vegetable and lots of fish..... your doomed. And then.......

Nonetheless, there appears to be a limit on how much protein the human liver can safely cope with: Too much overwhelms the liver’s waste-disposal system, leading to protein poisoning—nausea, diarrhea, wasting, and death.

Whatever the metabolic reason for this syndrome, says John Speth, an archaeologist at the University of Michigan’s Museum of Anthropology, plenty of evidence shows that hunters through the ages avoided protein excesses, discarding fat-depleted animals even when food was scarce. Early pioneers and trappers in North America encountered what looks like a similar affliction, sometimes referred to as rabbit starvation because rabbit meat is notoriously lean. Forced to subsist on fat-deficient meat, the men would gorge themselves, yet wither away. Protein can’t be the sole source of energy for humans, concludes Cordain. Anyone eating a meaty diet that is low in carbohydrates must have fat as well.

Stefansson had arrived at this conclusion, too, while living among the Copper Eskimo. He recalled how he and his Eskimo companions had become quite ill after weeks of eating “caribou so skinny that there was no appreciable fat behind the eyes or in the marrow.” Later he agreed to repeat the miserable experience at Bellevue Hospital, for science’s sake, and for a while ate nothing but defatted meat. “The symptoms brought on at Bellevue by an incomplete meat diet [lean without fat] were exactly the same as in the Arctic . . . diarrhea and a feeling of general baffling discomfort,” he wrote. He was restored with a fat fix but “had lost considerable weight.” For the remainder of his year on meat, Stefansson tucked into his rations of chops and steaks with fat intact. “A normal meat diet is not a high-protein diet,” he pronounced. “We were really getting three-quarters of our calories from fat.” (Fat is more than twice as calorie dense as protein or carbohydrate, but even so, that’s a lot of lard. A typical U.S diet provides about 35 percent of its calories from fat.)

Stefansson dropped 10 pounds on his meat-and-fat regimen and remarked on its “slenderizing” aspect, so perhaps it’s no surprise he’s been co-opted as a posthumous poster boy for Atkins-type diets. No discussion about diet these days can avoid Atkins. Even some researchers interviewed for this article couldn’t resist referring to the Inuit way of eating as the “original Atkins.” “Superficially, at a macronutrient level, the two diets certainly look similar,” allows Samuel Klein, a nutrition researcher at Washington University in St. Louis, who’s attempting to study how Atkins stacks up against conventional weight-loss diets. Like the Inuit diet, Atkins is low in carbohydrates and very high in fat. But numerous researchers, including Klein, point out that there are profound differences between the two diets, beginning with the type of meat and fat eaten.

So what's clear  is that there is eating a meat diet and then there is eating a meat  diet. The northern Indians had no choice, but to find a way,  to survive on what was there. But they are less healthy for it.... not more. They survive on that native diet only if certain other factors are made avaiable and  then this Inuit animal diet resembles almost nothing similar to any one else's meat diet on the earth. There may be a couple or few things that give it merit, like not dieing right away, but overall none to very little fiber has surely got to be a problem. Just because they could do it and there is some vitamin C and D in the fat doesn't mean its the best overall way to get such vitamins without the other gains that plant based foods offer. And the article made in super clear that native animal fats were a world of difference compared to grain fed production line model fat that everyone else eats.

The Inuit diet is one of survival and it worked sort of, but there are much better diets. No one in the world is going to realistically eat like the Inuits either. Yeah a piece of salmon or whale meat here and there, but caribou stomach contents??? I don't think that's being realistic. And there are many other factors such as ample exercise and healthy lifestyle in clean germ free cold environment that need to be taken into account when looking at the health of Northern Inuits.

More straight up info on Inuit health:

But are they actually free of atherosclerosis when eating their traditional diet?

The easiest way of getting a firm answer on this is to look at mummies from a period of time before the introduction of outside food.

Luckily, the ice is an excellent preserver of human remains, and dozens of Inuit mummies have been autopsied.

The oldest one, a 53-year-old Eskimo woman from St. Lawrence Island in the Bering Sea, is from 300 AD, well before the introduction of any outside food.

The autopsy showed that the woman had significant amounts of fatty plaque built up in her arteries (5).

The researcher wrote of this and many other Alaskan autopsies:

"We have also seen that ancient Eskimos, far removed from the stresses of modern technological society, suffered from coronary artery disease...This anatomic evidence in Alaska not only confirms the antiquity of arteriosclerotic heart disease, but also its occurrence in a preliterate society..."
-M.R. Zimmerman, MD, PhD (5

Mummified remains of Eskimos show that cancer was common even before western foods were introduced into their diet (14).
There's no reason to think that the Eskimo diet offers any sort of protection from cancer.

The Eskimo diet has been lauded for producing healthy teeth and jaws, but overall, it does not produce healthy bones and joints.
Mummies preserved from before western contact show widespread osteoporosis and osteoarthritis (16, 17),

In a 1976 study, the Inuit were consuming an incredible 2,000 mg of calcium a day from soft-boned fish. Despite all this abundant calcium intake, though, they had the highest hip fracture rate in the world (17, 18).

Although constipation and flatulence can have more than one cause, one easy way to guarantee them is to cut most or all of the fiber out of your diet.

Fiber is highly correlated with the number of bowel movements a person has per week as well as the quality of their stools. If you replace calories from fiber-rich plant food with fiber-free animal foods, you'll have fewer bowel movements.

This is why vegetarians have more bowel movements than omnivores and vegans have more bowel movements than vegetarians. Although there's no data to prove the point, this is also whyraw foodists have far more frequent bowel movements than anyone else.

Eskimos eating a traditional diet were very familiar with constipation because they ate very little plant food. Central to their religious pantheon was their most powerful deity, Matshishkapeu, which translates into, "Fart Man,". In Inuit stories, he is cited as the explanation for the regular bouts of constipation his people experienced, and he was known to inflict it upon mortals and gods who displeased him (15).

The Eskimo diet has never been known to bring about a particularly long life spans.
Dr. Samel Hutton studied the Eskimos before widespread western food exposure from 1902 to 1913, and had access to detailed birth and death records kept by missionaries from the previous century.

He wrote in his book, "Health Conditions and Disease Incidence Among The Eskimos of Labrador," that, "Old age sets in at fifty and its signs are strongly marked at sixty. In the years beyond sixty the Eskimo is aged and feeble. Comparatively few live beyond sixty and only a very few reach seventy."

Compared to the Okinawans I mentioned before, who regularly live past 100 on a diet with almost no meat and plenty of plant foods, this seems rather pathetic.

If you want to live a long life, don't try to imitate the Eskimos.

The idea that we should look to the Eskimo for health tips is absurd, and the data in this article outlined in red just reinforces what should be obvious - you won't find health and vitality by consuming animal foods.

http://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/ ... h-debunked

From the link above:

They found 48 studies. A review of the evidence in those studies, Fodor and his co-authors write, “leads us to the conclusion that Eskimos have a prevalence of [heart disease] similar to non-Eskimo population, they have excessive mortality due to cerebrovascular strokes, their overall mortality is twice as high as that of non-Eskimo populations, and their life expectancy is approximately 10 years shorter than the Danish population.”

Either way, the “Eskimo diet” myth has been with us for four decades. And given the huge amount of money riding on its perpetuation, I suspect the myth will remain with us for some time to come.

Just Google "Eating Raw Meats" and you'll find plenty more. Now, I really draw the line at raw oysters and meats as well. Just my preference. I prefer jerky oven toasted, as well, just to be honest, and my potatoes cooked.

Read on this link under "Nutrition" and "Eating Habits and Food Preparation":

I read this in my researching around. Aside from repeating a simple list of what they basically have on the menu, no new info here.

Are you going to tell them that they are meant to be vegetarians or herbivores???
Absolutely.

Joe

Francis Bacon: “Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true.”

Paul
Paul Leverington

Last edited by pleverington on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:06 am, edited 10 times in total.
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:25 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
If plants squealed when picked, do you think it would be more acceptable for us hunter gathers to eat them?
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:47 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:If plants squealed when picked, do you think it would be more acceptable for us hunter gathers to eat them?
Well not sure of your comment Mike as it doesn't makes sense....but in my world plants don't squeal. And it seems everyone is not focusing on diet and health and are assuming I'm talking about ethics or something of eating meat. The question  of the thread was B12 and what is healthiest to eat. What should we be eating for our health. What are  we meant  to eat as far as evolutionary diet history is concerned.

Paul
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:23 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I was trying to be funny in a dietary way...the healthiest thing for everyone is to get away from the keyboard and get some outdoor exercise and burn whatever calories you have eaten.
Topic Locked  

by pm4236 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:42 pm
pm4236
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:I was trying to be funny in a dietary way...the healthiest thing for everyone is to get away from the keyboard and get some outdoor exercise and burn whatever calories you have eaten.

...a far more effective way of promoting one's health than worrying about "evolutionary diet history"....... :mrgreen:
Paul Bremner
SF Bay Area
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:36 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:I was trying to be funny in a dietary way...the healthiest thing for everyone is to get away from the keyboard and get some outdoor exercise and burn whatever calories you have eaten.
How do you know people aren't doing just that? And who doesn't use the internet these days? Come on Mike get interesting..say something that has meaning and worth..
Paul Leverington

Last edited by pleverington on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:49 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
pm4236 wrote:

...a far more effective way of promoting one's health than worrying about "evolutionary diet history"....... :mrgreen:
Whether you believe it or not a huge following of people are pondering the same questions of diet since they are concerned about their health. And a person has to start somewhere no???? So why not at the beginning??? Unless your a creationist and believe that happened 6000 years ago.. The evolution of what we ate went right along with the evolution of us. Sure the facts are a bit inconvenient, but why not look into what we all ate before genetic engineering,  industrialization,  the beginnings of agriculture changed how and what we ate for millions of years. There's nobody that's going to agree that we can just eat anything and everything and still be fine health wise...... so what we eat IS hugely important. If  People are healthier without mass consumption of meat this is important.  I believe I have presented a lot of factual and referenced evidence that contradicts common misconceptions.

Paul
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

by rnclark on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:39 am
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Wow, your guys are still at this?

Ponder this for the dietary evolution idea. The human evolutionary track may be different than other animals because of our brains and tool making. For example, carnivores may have developed long fangs for fighting, and/or for tearing flesh, but humans didn't need that because they developed more efficient tools for both fighting and for eating. So parallels with other animals may not apply. And brain development may have been helped by the high fat carnivorous diet.

Roger
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:05 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
rnclark wrote:Wow, your guys are still at this?

Ponder this for the dietary evolution idea.  The human evolutionary track may be different than other animals because of our brains and tool making.  For example, carnivores may have developed long fangs for fighting, and/or for tearing flesh, but humans didn't need that because they developed more efficient tools for both fighting and for eating.  So parallels with other animals may not apply.  And brain development may have been helped by the high fat carnivorous diet.

Roger
Well I think it's a great topic......

Surely there are a lot of players that factor into the equation. Tools, brains, fire, cooking, social constructions, environments, all had their hand in it.  If we count homo habilis and whatever primitive type tool he used, I think we could safely say that a fair amount of evolution could have taken place between then and now. But as far as any kind of technology that could completely change the way pre-humans were living this came along a lot later. Maybe only thousands of years ago. Not enough time for evolutionary changes of significant value. Wouldn't our use of tools be a compensatory factor...not an evolutionary factor????  Making up for what we didn't have. Adapting. Like during ice ages when the acquisition of plant foods were scarce. And then when mastery of fire came along and it's natural followup of cooking, meat then became a very viable food source. But this was not millions of years ago, this was maybe 250 thousand years ago?? or less??

Point is we were never carnivores in the beginning. How much raw meat did we eat?? My understanding based on research was very little in the beginning as when we developed into homo erectus, and the heidelbergensis(600,000 ya). From 65 million years ago to now our canine tooth has been SHRINKING. Our distant placental mammalian ancestors had long canines and prognathous faces. But these traits have been on receding development since the beginning. Not the other way. These traits have been gone for more than a dozen million years.

I understand your point Roger and there's merit...BUT...big brains and tools for Homo Sapiens, Neanderthals, Heidelbergensis, Erectus maybe, and some very primitive toolmaking for Habilis were not that sophisticated or developed until 5-6 hundred thousand years ago. And even though eventually this took us on a species created evolutionary trail perhaps, was that even enough time to alter our bodies into a meat eating system from a plant eating system? The evidence seems to point to no, we still are mostly a plant eating creature.

Brain development needed nutrients for sure, but does that automatically mean we had to get them from meat??  Maybe during those ice ages, but most of time has been between those ice ages and were very warm and productive with food a plenty. Food must have been everywhere during those times we developed most of our brain size. I don't buy into the eat meat....... get bigger brain theory. I think we developed a bigger brain and THEN we needed more calories and nutrients to feed it. THEN we came up with perhaps eating meat, but certainly at first if your were a creature who ate fruits off the trees for millions of years and all of a sudden your hungry because you have a bigger brain having greater needs you would just eat more fruit and take a nap. Why would you go start hunting?? You would have a situation where you were hungry because there would have to be a condition where there was little, to no fruit, to get you to risk the danger of a hunt and expend all that energy to hunt. Lets be honest, the first hunters probably only had a rock. The hunting transition must have happened due to a climate change that decimated the fruit trees. Then those grass eating herbivores started to look mighty tasty.

Another thing to think about is that humans didn't even leave Africa until something like 70,000 ya and certainly that could only have happened because humans had the technology to hunt. So it's reasonable to assume that hunting tools and technology enabled our expansion at that time. Before that we just picked our food to our hearts contents, and supplemented with insects, eggs, occasional scavenged meat or captured small animals. Expansion into Europe and Asia could not have been facilitated by non hunters as they headed north to colder climes.

Hunting for 70,000 years even 150,000 years could not of completely altered our bodies processes from plant eaters to meat eaters. We can eat meat and derive survival from it, but is it really the ideal food for us? And today's meats are factory produced...how much do we loose with that process..?  I swear chicken was way better 50 years ago when I was a kid. It's tough now and doesn't have the flavor it used to.

Paul
Paul Leverington

Last edited by pleverington on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:21 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Here's one for you, Paul:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02252.html

And another:

http://www.andreasviestad.com/Site/eng- ... beria.html

I have also eaten jerky that is only sun dried and not toasted afterwards! I guess that makes me a Barbarian, huh??? But I also like raw potatoes!!!

Joe
one of the biggest problems that leads to a misconception is comparisons. The Nenet, Inuit, or any other a number of people may in some ways seem to be healthier than most unhealthy Americans, but that does NOT mean eating like them is the answer. Of course any one compared to a little exercised, obese, sickly American is going to look healthier, but one has to take that for what it is. A poor diet compared to a wretched diet...and lifestyle. Hence a misconception......

If we don't take a step back and view everything we will miss certain vital aspects. Too many times people mis using science and frgmented reports are waay up too close to a problem and only see one or two things.

And don't expect or believe journalists, and cooks, writers to give hard science based evidence as they too are heavily biased and will "interpret" things to fit their way of thinking or in a way that stimulates people's imaginations so as to sell. Dull, boring, yet factual writings, are not what we like to read. Keep it in mind...

I'd love to see a scientific study report on the actual health of these people, but I'm sure there is not many that have ever been made. I'm referring to in depth and thorough studies--not just a study on one thing. Until this is done one cannot draw any conclusions what so ever.

Surviving is not the same as optimal health.

Paul
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:34 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
pleverington wrote:You claim to be a meat eater cause we're like other primates??? Really?? Well.......hmmmm......let's see........lets ask you a question. When was the last time you went to the fridge and pulled out a couple of pounds of hamburger, put it on a plate with  a spoon embedded in it, and dug IN??? Cause carnivores and true omnivores do this. And they love it too...They PREFER raw meat over cooked. My cats are all testimony to this. Cooking the meat seems to cause a great loss of appeal over the raw state for them. No joke. Given a piece of raw chicken over cooked there is a huge difference in the feeding attitude. No one will eat raw hamburger or raw any other kind of meat unless it's a matter  of survival or a dare or bet . And if your gonna come back and site sushi or something remember it's sliced so thin that it needs little grinding to digest it. Then it's smothered in some dip or sauce to alter it's flavor.  Plus it's a very different meat than red meat. But grab a piece of chicken leg... raw.... and hold it in your hand for a minute, looking at it, smelling it, giving it a lick, and then tell me you just can't wait to dig in.....
Oh and don't forget about all those bacteria in raw meat that can make a homo sapien totally sick, but a true carnivore with it's high acid stomach and short intestinal tract, has absolutely no problem eating. I  won't even get  into the fact that a true carnivore or omnivore can eat a carcass that's been lying around for a while...

OK sorry to be a smart butt...but...we can only eat meat that's cooked. When raw meat is cooked it becomes something else despite the fact that we still call it meat. It chews different, it tastes different, it smells different, it has a different chemical makeup as the heat has changed it, it has added chemicals most of the time because of the fire or coals....etc...The cellular walls break  down and allow it to be digested where other wise our guts wouldn't be able to do that. It's no longer meat. It's been transformed into something different that our bodies CAN digest. Cooking is the difference and has to take center stage in this kind of discussion. Now of course even raw meat can be eaten and certainly we would get something from it, but I'm being a realist here---nobody on earth gores around eating raw hamburger or raw anything else unless some special prep is done or they are in survival mode or they are just  whacko..

We are revolted by the sight even of an animal being ripped apart with all that blood.. Not a carnivore!! A true carnivore loves that kill and has no empathy for that  animal. We are built different despite the cover up repression we try and put on when we see some animal killed by another as we chalk it up to natures way. It  still revolts us. I'm not including psychopaths here. Or others that have clinically low empathy. The norm for homo sapien is to jump in the water or fire and save that stranger, or help that stranded dog or baby deer from the ice hole.... It's is what we are and is our very strength attribute that allows us to adapt and dominate through social bonding. Carnivores are loners or in are small family groups..Homo sapiens group by the millions...

Paul
Paul, I guess you missed the reason I posted those links that you went to so much trouble to refute! It was not to suggest their diet was healthy or anything else like that. It was to counter your ludicrous claims that nobody eats raw meat as a normal diet as shown by the quotes in red above. We live in such a super sanitized, chlorinated, fluoridated, vaccinated society and insulate ourselves from the rest of the world and their lifestyles. I'm sure that many other peoples besides the Inuit eat a raw diet, including in the link for Dr. Marks. I would imagine that peoples in the Amazon and parts of Africa do too. I had a friend that was invited as a guest to a Native American home to visit here in New Mexico. When they sat down to eat, she was presented with the head of an animal (cooked) to eat from. It was considered a delicacy and she was being treated as the guest of honor. She didn't understand that this is something that was being done in her honor with much respect. Just because many Americans can't stand the sight of an animal being killed or slaughtered, doesn't mean that it is wrong or psychopathic. Many Americans have become so isolated and insulated from even slaughterhouses that they have no idea that an animal is killed and butchered for the store they buy meat from. Even many grocery stores have their own butchers in a back room hidden from view of the customers. That is where the special cut of meat a customer orders is cut from the carcass. Why do we think that we are so advanced and a great society when we have others do our dirty work. We have become soft in the body and head!
Regarding the Inuits shorter lifespan, I wouldn't live for even twenty years  if I had to live their lifestyle!!! How could a vegetarian live in those circumstances and live to be even thirty or forty? Life span has a lot to do with the conditions we have to live under. A question for you: If our lifestyle is so unhealthy, why does our life span keep increasing?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /16874039/

https://www.google.com/publicdata/explo ... l=en&dl=en

Joe
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:59 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Joe your mixing up too many varied and differing issues when trying to make point. First off, I never and am not discussing ethics or morality issues, so I'm not so compelled to respond in any way to those things. I did already make statement of that earlier. I'm fine doing that in a thread about such things, but here it was originally about B12 if you remember, until Joel dragged that whole other thread here about whether we were intended to eat meat as carnivores do, or not. (The answer is NOT if you missed it).

And second, my points were simply that raw meat right off the hoof has never been what humans preferred. Your citing recipes or fringe cultures who have little other choice is just not helpful to any raw meat argument. Go to anywhere in the world otherwise and order some meat and it will be served cooked. This is not a fad or fluke or mistake...it is by design. Humans do not enjoy a bite of raw meat nearly as much as one that has been prepared to be more palatable, and the vast, almost unanimously amount of the time, that is means cooking.

In the nut shell humans are not evolved meat eaters. We are not true carnivores or even omnivores. We learned to make fire, we learned to cook, we grabbed our sharpened wooden sticks, and that changed everything. Cooking allowed for palatable representations of meat. This allowed our very ancient ancestors to move north even during times of glaciation. We no longer depended on plants only. Cooking stored, kept cold plants also was a huge factor.

Joe--but do this--set up your video on your camera and make a short video of you eating a pound of raw hamburger with a spoon and swallow that down with a glass of blood. Cause a dog or a cat would relish the opportunity. An omnivore would do the same. Yes even a Panda.

Like I said earlier my cats PREFER raw meat and blood and entrails to cooked versions of the same. I just half an hour ago served these four outside homeless cats four chicken thighs and an inch of chicken broth. They drank the broth and left all that beautiful cooked meat that I so diligently separated from the bones. For me that would be a delicious meal. I sure the problem was they were not starving but point is any animal will it till it can hardly move if it's favorite food is present.

I would recommend you to search some of the paleo sites and discover just how provocative cooking has been to our adapted lives and maybe even our adapted evolutionary lives. We aren't meat eaters. We are "cooked meat" eaters. Not the same. Two different things. We can eat bark and drink urine if you want to digress to things with mostly survival in mind.

But your really putting in too many things in the stew now for me or anyone to gain insights anymore. If you want, start a thread on specific things maybe. I know a lot of folks don't like to get into debates, but you know you can always count on my two cents worth. :)

Can't wait to see the video. I'm almost throwing up thinking about it...

Your friend of locked antlers...

Paul
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:08 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Regarding the Inuits shorter lifespan, I wouldn't live for even twenty years  if I had to live their lifestyle!!! How could a vegetarian live in those circumstances and live to be even thirty or forty? Life span has a lot to do with the conditions we have to live under. A question for you: If our lifestyle is so unhealthy, why does our life span keep increasing?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /16874039/

https://www.google.com/publicdata/explo ... l=en&dl=en

Joe
Well your rather throwing the baby out with that bathwater with this argument.

Our lifespan is increasing because of medical technology mostly. Heart attacks are up, % wise, but instead of dying we go to the hospital to get our arteries scraped out from all that sludge from poor diets. And so on.....

Plus an abundance of food takes starvation out of the equation even if that abundance is a poor diet.

We are sick and soft like you say, but the hospitals keep winding us up and sending us back out there...

Paul
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:13 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Everything I said is directly connected to comments you have made in this thread! I usually highlight those statements in color so you will know what I'm making comments about. If you don't want to engage because you feel anything is off topic, remember this when you make a statement.

Joe
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:08 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Everything I said is directly connected to comments you have made in this thread! I usually highlight those statements in color so you will know what I'm making comments about. If you don't want to engage because you feel anything is off topic, remember this when you make a statement.

Joe
And I do read everything  you say Joe it's just that I don't want to be on an island endlessly debating with you. Others need to draw some real tangible facts out of this to hold their interest and those have already been presented. I made my points you made yours. All we are doing now is flogging each other.  Sure everything is connected to everything else, but one thing at a time if you want to leave generalization behind and get down to relevant realities. I'm not pitching a storm that the thread was hijacked completely, but then to hijack it again from the question of whether or not we are carnivorous animals or not to whether we can or do eat raw meat ever at all are two quite different questions. We might as well start swapping  recipes. I got your points though, that there are some who believe that eating raw meat is healthy, maybe healthier. And there are some isolated  tribes of people who having no other recourse have learned to survive at least in part because they find ways to eat raw meat--many times prepared without cooking.

But did you get all my points that for up to perhaps two million years mankind has been cooking meat so as to enable it's consumption as a major staple food or maybe prepared by drying in the sun as strips or smoking etc. And then also the overwhelming facts that just about all humans on earth today cook their meat before eating to not only make it palatable and even immensely pleasurable, but also far more digestible as the cooking process breaks down cellular walls enabling the body an easier go to extract vital ingredients. And cooked meat is NOT raw meat even though we label them both meat. The cooking process changes the form and chemical structure of the substance. It is most definitely is a transformed substance at that point.

Now if you can't acknowledge the above facts to yourself and me, then I'm just going to go ahead and say you are definitely stuck on an idea. The facts speak overwhelmingly that what I have said is fact. Your arguments are on the fringes. Even being true as they are, they are peripheral arguments. There is no 100%, entirely correct, one way to look at it only, anything in this world. But what got us to eat meat as a major dietary staple was cooking, and then of course seasonings and technique followed. Look it up.

And why accuse me of dodging when I just made very specifically clear in my second to last post that if you wanted to discuss other things start a thread and I'll be there even if no one else cares. Aren't you reading anything I write at all???

Paul
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

42 posts |