Snowy owl in fading light

Posted by OntPhoto on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:49 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Enjoying the El Nino effect on the weekend in Ottawa.  There is still a light covering of snow on the ground which should mostly disappear when we get some rain mid-week. Thankfully the ground was still a bit frozen so not much muck on the boots.

I and another photographer had some quality time with the owl earlier in the morning.  Went back later in the day with another photographer. She had heard about our wonderful experience with the owl earlier in the morning and wanted to see it too.  So back I went.  There is nothing like an up close look at the snowy owl to really appreciate its beauty.

The max ISO that I trust with the 7D MK2 is about ISO 1000.  Anything higher I try and really push to the right.

Canon 7D MK2.  70-200 2.8L + 1.4x III.  ISO 1000, f/5.6, 1/800.  Handheld.  Ai-Servo mode. Thanks for looking.

Posted by:
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor

by NILADRI KARMAKAR on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:45 am
NILADRI KARMAKAR
Forum Contributor
Nice action shot...superb pose with eye contact.
I would love to see a bit crop from bottom and some room in the upper portion. Fencing wire little bit distracting as per my opinion.
NIL:-

"Sometimes you can tell a large story with a tiny subject."-  Eliot Porter

by MalcolmBenn on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:36 pm
MalcolmBenn
Forum Contributor
Very nice image, although I wish you had more canvas at both the top and the bottom.
Malcolm Benn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8357466@N03/

by OntPhoto on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:53 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
NILADRI KARMAKAR wrote:Nice action shot...superb pose with eye contact.
I would love to see a bit crop from bottom and some room in the upper portion. Fencing wire little bit distracting as per my opinion.

Thanks.  I played with a few crops and felt this one offered a good balanced look for the image size.  I also wanted to include a lot more of the landscape. 

by OntPhoto on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:07 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
MalcolmBenn wrote:Very nice image, although I wish you had more canvas at both the top and the bottom.

Thanks Malcolm.  I actually cropped a bit at the top.  I was just playing with the look of the overall framing and given the 800 pixel width and me wanting to show more of the landscape and the fence line on the left side as it sweeps down.  My interpretation anyways. :)  The photo was on the local TV news (CJOH) POTD and they cropped it drastically both top and bottom.

5 posts |