Red-tail hawk dismantles red squirrel

Posted by OntPhoto on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
I am having so much fun with the 7D MK2.  First camera that I do not hesitate leaving in Ai-servo mode even for static shots because I have confidence in the AF.  This is one fine camera living up to the hype.

Photographed an adult red-tail hawk dismantling a red squirrel.  This is one of the tamest red-tails that I know of.  I am not sure how it got to be this way as most take off when they spot you from even a hundred yards away. 

Taken with the 7D MK2 and 70-200 2.8L + 1.4x on a Gitzo carbon-fibre monopod.  Thanks for looking.

Posted by:
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor

by Graeme Guy on Fri May 01, 2015 2:23 am
Graeme Guy
Forum Contributor
Member #:01714
Nice to hear your camera is up to speed. Good behavioural shot....albeit slightly on the gory side

Graeme
Graeme Guy
Penang,
Malaysia

http://grguy.smugmug.com

by OntPhoto on Fri May 01, 2015 7:37 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Graeme Guy wrote:Nice to hear your camera is up to speed. Good behavioural shot....albeit slightly on the gory side

Graeme

Thanks Graeme.  But I live for these types of shots, they're different  :)  When I used to watch al those Nature episodes, I actually find the lions gathered around the kill shots quite interesting.  Maybe I just enjoy watching wildlife fulfilling their hunger and enjoying themselves after a lot of effort hunting for prey  :mrgreen:

by Leighayres on Fri May 01, 2015 8:32 pm
Leighayres
Forum Contributor
I like this shot. This is life in the wild.
Not sure where this was taken, but we have a red tail around my area, too, that is quite tame and often is sighted with a grey squirrel in its grip. It will hunt within several feet of people (Whitby, ON).
Also enjoying my 7DII and also leave in AI-Servo.
Again, nice shot.
Cheers
Leigh Ayres
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
https://www.flickr.com/photos/134058849@N07/

4 posts |