Bald Eagles at the nest

Posted by OntPhoto on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:12 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
Hard to figure it out.  Sometimes I get so-so results with the 2x on the 500 f4 II and sometimes it works well and surprises me. It worked well this time.  The subject is more magnified in the frame so that may have helped.  I am still contemplating giving the new 2x III a try.  Why hamper a good camera and great lens with not the very best TC?

On the weekend I went to photograph a nesting pair of bald eagles.  Although it was sunny for most of the day, by the time I got to the eagles it became overcast.  The human eye would have seen mostly a dark object (the nest) against a bright sky. 

Canon 7D MK2.  500 f4 II and TC 2x II.  Manual exposure at ISO 1000, f8 and 1/500.  Gitzo tripod.  Thanks for looking.

Posted by:
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor

by Graeme Guy on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:58 pm
Graeme Guy
Forum Contributor
Member #:01714
This was a difficult shoot but you have good detail and action.

I abandoned the 2x some time ago but agree that sometimes it works well and mostly lets you down

Cheers
Graeme
Graeme Guy
Penang,
Malaysia

http://grguy.smugmug.com

by OntPhoto on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:04 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Graeme Guy wrote:This was a difficult shoot but you have good detail and action.

I abandoned the 2x some time ago but agree that sometimes it works well and mostly lets you down

Cheers
Graeme

Thanks Graeme.  It's the difficult shots that tests the photography skills as you better know what you're doing  :mrgreen:   I have read some reviews on the new Canon 2x III but nothing definitive.  I think people who buy the new III model get rid of their II model first.  Or do not have a 2x to begin with. 

PS.  I have had the 7D MK2 since it came out.  In all that time I have NEVER filled up a 64GB card.  I was starting to think, what a waste.  Until this weekend, that is.  After that, I learned to take the finger off the shutter after a brief series of shots like I would normally do anyways.  But the action was fast and furious.  Fortunately I had a 32GB and 16GB.  But not being UDMA 7 cards, I did notice a slight slowdown in processing speed.

3 posts |