NOT a pretty picture.

Posted by NiagaraMike on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:08 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
Peregrine falcon barely tolerates my close presence on its recent kill then suddenly (and altogether too briefly)  opens its wings and beak in a very serious warning display.The harsh mid-day lighting kept changing with cloud and sun for the series of images that ensued the after the take down of the gull. For me, this flawed image is about the rare opportunity handed me in very short order in conditions I normally would not photograph birds.

It was taken with a fixed lens 300 mm lens with 1.4X converter (no opportunity to un-zoom or move back during the brief display) on a D7000  (limited DR and ISO) and under harsh lighting at f/8. Figures it would happen on a day that I had been out to try out the brand new setup at the time and out to do sport images against bright water requiring a very different set of camera parameters when  I caught this dark bird flying in the flock of gulls in the corner of my eye....

Not  pretty or perfect. I did not have the opportunity to set up a perch in the right light with a nice soft background etc.or luxury of time to play much with camera parameters in the very quickly changing life and death scenario at close proximity.

Perhaps the stark realism will appeal. Or not. This  is my only shot of the falcon mantling and yes the wings got clipped when it suddenly stretched and  I was too close for this unexpected behaviour..

I have  many others from that day that tell the rest of the story.

Posted by:
NiagaraMike
Forum Contributor

by Carol Clarke on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:38 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Great illustration of the mantling behaviour Mike. Such amazing birds with their speeding bullet hunting technique, I think they earn the right to say 'Its mine!'.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by NiagaraMike on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:45 pm
NiagaraMike
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:Great illustration of the mantling behaviour Mike.  Such amazing birds with their speeding bullet hunting technique, I think they earn the right to say 'Its mine!'.
Thanks Carol. Even if I had come back empty handed it would have been a top nature experience of my life. Such wonderful birds.

Love the way you also put the u back into behaviour....   :)

by Carol Clarke on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:00 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
NiagaraMike wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote:Great illustration of the mantling behaviour Mike.  Such amazing birds with their speeding bullet hunting technique, I think they earn the right to say 'Its mine!'.
Thanks Carol. Even if I had come back empty handed it would have been a top nature experience of my life. Such wonderful birds.

Love the way you also put the u back into behaviour....   :)

Yes, well,,,,,, they make us spell correctly over here Mike...... :D .....
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by anupbunny on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:14 pm
anupbunny
Forum Contributor
Super encounter, love the moment here.

by David Stimac on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:35 pm
David Stimac
Forum Contributor
Why so apologetic?  This is fantastic and something every birder/photographer would be lucky to witness. 

Unlike the vast majority of bird photos posted, a story is definitely being told here!!!

by NiagaraMike on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:28 pm
NiagaraMike
Forum Contributor
anupbunny wrote:Super encounter, love the moment here.
Thanks Anupam, Dash

by NiagaraMike on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:34 pm
NiagaraMike
Forum Contributor
David Stimac wrote:Why so apologetic?  This is fantastic and something every birder/photographer would be lucky to witness. 

Unlike the vast majority of bird photos posted, a story is definitely being told here!!!
Thanks David! I guess I wanted people to know that I was more than aware that the image is photographically  flawed so that they would not waste their time trying to help me. 

As for your last sentence it was the reason this image was posted at all. I had a close encounter of the best kind with this bird and got some images to remind me.. I am grateful  that you felt that too.

I hope to have a similar encounter with the D800 sometime soon. But for now I go back to these images once in a while and enjoy seeing that bird so close our eyes could communicate. AND it was NOT saying nice things to me!

by DarrenMcKenna on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:15 pm
DarrenMcKenna
Forum Contributor
I would shoot in the very same condition any day if this opportunity presented itself. I don't think the outcome would have been any different no matter who was holding the camera. Well done Mike and congrats on the find.
[color=#BFBFBF][b][url=http://darrenmckenna.com/]darrenmckenna.com[/url][/b][/color]

by NiagaraMike on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:38 pm
NiagaraMike
Forum Contributor
DarrenMcKenna wrote:I would shoot in the very same condition any day if this opportunity presented itself. I don't think the outcome would have been any different no matter who was holding the camera. Well done Mike and congrats on the find.
I agree.  I was thrilled for this life experience and opportunity. Thanks Darren!

10 posts |