Yellow Breasted Antpitta

Posted by ChrisRoss on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:25 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Yellow Breasted Antpitta  Grallaria flavotincta

Well known as shy and retiring skulkers, Antpittas can be hard to see let alone photograph.  While staying at Bellavista I did the tour run by a local farmer Angel Paz who has trained at least 4 species of Antpitta to come when he calls for a meal of earthworms.  Generally light was low and the situations he calls them into in shadow and not too photogenic, but without the tour I doubt very much if I would have found and photographed 4 species of Antpitta and the Andean Cock of the Rock in one morning, let alone a week of searching.  This one was shot across a fast flowing stream and the camera was tripod mounted.

Larger Image: Yellow Breasted Antpitta

Canon 1DMkIV + 300mm f4L IS + 1.4x.  1/80 @ f6.3 ISO1600.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

Posted by:
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor

by DarrenMcKenna on Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:36 am
DarrenMcKenna
Forum Contributor
Interesting species and good job of getting one in the open even if it was farmer assisted. Your specs show just how tough the conditions were.
[color=#BFBFBF][b][url=http://darrenmckenna.com/]darrenmckenna.com[/url][/b][/color]

by Karl Egressy on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:47 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I wish we had known about this farmer in 2004.
Great image of a hard to find species, Chris.

by WDCarrier on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:41 am
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Been there...done that, but never got this nice of an image. Good job, Chris.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by mlgray12 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:14 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
Karl Egressy wrote:I wish we had known about this farmer in 2004.
Great image of a hard to find species, Chris.

Been there and done that a couple of times - I have photos of all 4 - but my Yellow-breasted is not near as nice as this one - keep up good work Chris
Karl - My first trip to Pas de Las Aves in was in summer of 2008 and at that time Angel only had three coming out and the Yellow-breasted and Mustached Antpittas were new ones - in fact he did not even let people take pictures of the Mustached  since it was extremely shy - barely saw the bird in fact. Don't think he had even started with Maria - the original Giant Antpitta that changed birding and photography of the forest floor dwellers in 2004, He had Maria on my second trip to Ecuador  but we did not know about it then either - think that was in 2005 - Guides that had birded South America for years knew these birds mostly by call. Now with proper planning you can go to Ecuador and photograph as many as 6 or 7 Antpitta species
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by Fur and Feather on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:20 pm
Fur and Feather
Forum Contributor
Great capture, the angle shows his big feet off really well. Always love to see birds I have not had the chance to see myself TFS

Christine
ARPS DPAGB

6 posts |