Ocean wanderer – Antipodean Albatross

Posted by mvsneary on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
If you’re a keen birder, such as myself, it’s a delight to see seabirds up close in their ocean environment, and none more so than albatrosses. They are magnificent birds. To photograph them well at sea, there are number of interesting challenges to cope with – weather, in all its guises, swell, and of course seasickness. Through this post, and a handful of others (not too many, I promise), I’d like to share some of my more favourite pictures from two recent pelagics in Australia (one off Sydney and a second off Wollongong), and also to reflect a little on those challenges. I very much welcome comments on the shots, as well as observations on technique and any tips for these challenging conditions. Please enjoy!

To kick-off, and to serve as a scene setter, I’ve chosen Antipodean Albatross (ssp. gibsoni) low over the ocean. Perhaps the quintessential Diomedea, split from Wandering Albatross (in the taxonomy I follow), this is one of the largest albatross species, with a wing-span of 3m or more. This is an adult with typical brown and white plumage.

Weather wise, this is a fairly rough day, 25-30 miles or so off shore from Sydney, with winds in the 20-30 mph bracket and moderate swell. When on a pelagic you actually want windy conditions, as it gets the birds in the air. When winds are light, birds, especially the bigger birds, just sit on the water and you don’t see too much.

Here I’m using a Nikon 200-400mm f/4 paired with a D700. This is at the limit of weight I’ll handhold, and some may question the selection, but it gives me a number of key benefits: reach (I find 300mm is generally not enough; more bird in the frame = easier focusing when compared to a small subject surrounded by an expanse of ocean/sky) and framing flexibility. On the trip I also used 70-200mm f/2.8 with and without 1.4 tc on both the D700 and D300 - looking through all my shots across the two trips, all gave good results, but I generally prefer the shots from the 200-400mm + D700 combination. Obvious downside is the weight and, on this particular pelagic, focus speed. It was a really grey, gloomy, overcast day leading to an occasional lag in focus speed/acquisition, especially with birds low over the ocean and flying towards me. But in these conditions one advantage was that it was easier to control highlights, even late into the day, especially on the white heads of various albatross species. You’ll also notice from the shooting data that I’ve pushed the ISO further than I would normally, to maintain a fast shutter speed and good depth of field.

Nikon D700 + Nikon 200-400mm f/4; ISO 2500, f/7.1, 1/2500 at 400mm

Cropped away lower part of image for framing and to remove out-of-focus wave; LR5, CC2014 and Nik filters.

Thanks for looking!

Martin

Posted by:
mvsneary
Forum Contributor

by ChrisRoss on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:45 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Nice shot, great looking birds, must head out n the pelagic one day seeing as how live only 30 mins drive away! The head does seem a little low in contrast which initially made it look soft on my laptop, believe it's nice and sharp, however applying an s curve to the highlights would pum up the contrast a bit just use the image itself adjusted to high contrast so only the whites show up as a layer mask for a curves layer.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by mvsneary on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:12 am
mvsneary
Forum Contributor
Chris

Your instinct is right - this is not as sharp as it could be, but I liked the scene and managed no other similar shots. And thank you for the editing suggestions. I'll def give it a go, noting my PS skills are pretty basic!

And for sure you should join a pelagic. The SOSSA (Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association) folks do great work - more detail here: http://www.sossa-international.org/

Thanks again

Maritn

by Axel Hildebrandt on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:52 am
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
Great POV and gliding pose.
Axel Hildebrandt

by Carol Clarke on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:34 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
When you click on the image to bring in the darker surround it really shows it at its best. Catching the spread wings on the diagonal was the perfect choice with this amazing bird, and with the dark surround I think its about as good as it gets. It works for me!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by mvsneary on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:23 pm
mvsneary
Forum Contributor
Thanks Carol and Axel.

6 posts |