Red Legged Honey Creeper Male

Posted by DON HAMILTON JR. on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
[font='Helvetica Neue', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The red-legged honeycreeper (Cyanerpes cyaneus) is a small songbird species in the tanager family (Thraupidae).The intense Iridescence/Turquoise colors are "Lady Killers"!! Sure to capture a mate's attention...including the photographer. [/font]
[font='Helvetica Neue', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]See DonHamiltonPhotos.com ... [/font]
[font='Helvetica Neue', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Factoid: [/font]
[font='Helvetica Neue', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Unlike most tropical passerines, the male Red-legged Honeycreeper has an "eclipse" color phase outside the breeding season, when he is a dull olive-green, much like the female. However, his change to brilliant blue for the breeding season is a result of his feathers wearing down instead of being replaced. The male's multi-colored body feathers are olive-green at the tip and turquoise-blue farther down. As the olive-green tips of the feathers wear away during the year, the blue portion of the feathers gradually becomes the more dominant. When breeding season is over, he moults into a fresh coat of olive-green, and the process begins all over again. [/font]
[font='Helvetica Neue', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Click on the subject to darken the surrounding canvas!![/font]
[font='Helvetica Neue', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Canon 1dx & 600mmII, ISO 1250, 1/80s  f10,  manual,  spot metering, [/font]
http://donhamiltonphotos.com/workshops.html Specializing in reasonably priced Instructional Photography Workshops & Tours.

Posted by:
DON HAMILTON JR.
Forum Contributor

by Square Man1 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:50 am
Square Man1
Forum Contributor
Absolutely gorgeous Don, brilliant work.

by jerryb on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:34 pm
jerryb
Forum Contributor
Looks great for worn down feathers. Nice details and perch.
Larger sized samples of my work can be seen on Google Plus at https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JerryBarnettPhoto

by mikullashbee on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:11 pm
mikullashbee
Forum Contributor
Nice backside view with the over the shoulder look. Super vibrant colours and i like the vertical composition too.
Thanks for looking,
Michael Ashbee
mikeashbeephotography.com

by Missy Mandel on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:47 pm
Missy Mandel
Forum Contributor
Member #:01973
Don this image is spectacular in every way.
Missy Mandel
Toronto, Canada
Comments and critiques welcomed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/missymandel/
www.missymandel.ca
Instagram missymandel_photography

by Ken Lassman on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:44 pm
Ken Lassman
Forum Contributor
Stunning image...love the pose, perch and BG
[i]"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks"
-John Muir[/i]

by Nate Chappell on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:38 pm
Nate Chappell
Forum Contributor
Member #:00835
Very sweet perch for this guy Don, beautiful shot, maybe a touch lower in the frame for me, nicely done.
Nate Chappell
Texas and Ecuador

Birds and Wildlife photo workshops and tours

7 posts |