White-winged Scoter

Posted by mikullashbee on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
This was shot a couple winters ago in Qualicum beach,B.C. These birds will sometimes come in pretty close to shore while diving for varnish clams at this location. A lot of things have to align to get them in this close and in shootable light.(Tide,sunshine,human and dog traffic) I have been back several times with my new gear and had no luck. Guess thats what keeps us trying. 
D300
200-400+1.4t.c.@550mm
F5.6
1/1250th
ISO400
Thanks for looking,
Michael Ashbee
mikeashbeephotography.com

Posted by:
mikullashbee
Forum Contributor

by rbielefeld on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:25 pm
rbielefeld
Forum Contributor
Great image of a cool duck species. An alternate composition would be to have the bird low in the frame with more OOF water above/behind the bird. Just a personal preference with these types of shots.
You cannot save time, you can only spend it wisely, or perhaps, freeze a moment of it forever in a photograph
Ron Bielefeld
http://www.whistlingwingsphotography.com

by Karl Egressy on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:40 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Nice image of this cool looking Duck. They are already here for the winter in Lake Ontario.

by RLK on Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:00 am
RLK
Forum Contributor
Member #:01370
Great exposure on this difficult to photograph bird. I can identify with the challenges you faced as I have been in similar situations, having waited for hours for them to work in close only to have an off-leash dog push them way out. Looking forward to trying it again this winter anyway.
Bob
Bob Kothenbeutel
Website (under construction) www.rlkimages.photoshelter.com

4 posts |