Iridescence

Posted by siliconworm on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
The structural colours of a patch of contour feathers on the back of an adult peacock.
Larger image: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2916/13942810881_0a25cce554_o.jpg

Nikon D3, 28-80/3.3-5.6G (ultimate cheapo silver edition)
 80mm, F8, 1/160s, ISO1600, evening natural light, handheld, 14-bit NEF, desperately sharpened in post processing
It doesn't matter who you are, but where you are and when you are.

Posted by:
siliconworm
Forum Contributor

by OferLevy on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:17 am
OferLevy
Forum Contributor
ANother interesting image! I love the idea but something doesn't look right with the image quality maybe due to the crop?
www.wildlife-photography-school.com

Please read my new article about COMPOSITION

by siliconworm on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:37 am
siliconworm
Forum Contributor
OferLevy wrote:ANother interesting image! I love the idea but something doesn't look right with the image quality maybe due to the crop?
It's mainly due to the ultra cheap silver edition plastic doggy lens, together with the ridiculous sharpening I did in the post processing; another reason is that this is a living peacock and its back is not in a perfect plane, so only part of the photo is in the depth of field.

by Glenn Bartley on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:58 am
Glenn Bartley
Forum Contributor
Member #:01298
This is so awesome!!!
Glenn Bartley - See more images & learn about exciting photo workshops: www.glennbartley.com

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:33 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Definitely a wall hanger! Great concept for the subject.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by micha on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:57 pm
micha
Forum Contributor
Nice and interesting!
Micha Auerbach Photography,
www.michaauerbach.com

by pleverington on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:20 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
I always look at shots like this and ponder what would it look like without the sliders being jacked up.  It's not that it's not a wonderful shot and it is,  but i so love natural subtle colors and not the overcooked ones  from editing...they just don't look like the nature I have seen. Plus everyone, everywhere is over saturating it seems. It's worn out...at least on me..... Great shot?? Yes it is....I really love it. But I know the colors are off and/or are the tonal values. If you fine tuned this to reflect natural subtle renditions I feel it would even be more powerful.

Don't take the comment the wrong way please. just saying....

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by Ron Day on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:50 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Beautiful in all respects - congratulations on the Editor's Pic.

by siliconworm on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:48 am
siliconworm
Forum Contributor
pleverington wrote:I always look at shots like this and ponder what would it look like without the sliders being jacked up.  It's not that it's not a wonderful shot and it is,  but i so love natural subtle colors and not the overcooked ones  from editing...they just don't look like the nature I have seen. Plus everyone, everywhere is over saturating it seems. It's worn out...at least on me..... Great shot?? Yes it is....I really love it. But I know the colors are off and/or are the tonal values. If you fine tuned this to reflect natural subtle renditions I feel it would even be more powerful.

Don't take the comment the wrong way please. just saying....

Paul
I indeed increased the vibrance, but I was doing this on porpose so that I could make it look more natural (at least based on my perception of what nature looks like at its best). Because these iridescent colours are really structural colours produced by white light interfering with the nanostructure of the feathers, the vibrancy you see greatly depends on the lighting condition you have. And in decent lighting conditions, I would decsribe the colours of these feathers with many words only except "subtle" -- I'm sorry, but to my eyes, these peacocks' colours really are that extravagant! :mrgreen:  

by siliconworm on Fri May 09, 2014 4:07 pm
siliconworm
Forum Contributor
This shot has been remade using two different lenses and two different peacocks. It seems that the motion blur is finally eliminated, but I still can't get the entire frame into the DOF -_-!!

Remake 1: 600/4VR, F4

DSC_7468_DxO-1 by siliconworm, on Flickr

Remake 2: 50/1.8D, F7.1

DSC_7803_DxO-1 by siliconworm, on Flickr

10 posts |