Great Sage Grouse

Posted by Jared. Lloyd on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
If you have never had the opportunity to lay in a blind as the sun came up over a greater sage grouse lek, you are seriously missing out! 

I spent the last couple of mornings stuffed inside of a little blind, face down in the dirt photographing these grouse on a lek in Idaho. I have been wanting to shoot one of these leks for a couple of years, but April always tends to be a busy month for me, photographically, and so I have not been able to make time until this year. 

Hands down, one of the coolest bird photography shoots I have done in a LONG time. 

D4 | 600mm | f/5 | 1/600 | ISO 1000 |

Posted by:
Jared. Lloyd
Forum Contributor

by troylim on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:32 pm
troylim
Forum Contributor
What a nice looking bird. I saw the dirty camera pic on FB. Well done.

by Antino_Cervigni on Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:47 am
Antino_Cervigni
Forum Contributor
Excellent shot. Regards Antino
[i]Antino Italy[/i]

by rajandesai on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:42 am
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
Gotta love this one. Love the dreamy effect the OOF foreground creates.

by Jared. Lloyd on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:27 pm
Jared. Lloyd
Forum Contributor
troylim wrote:What a nice looking bird.  I saw the dirty camera pic on FB.  Well done.
Thanks Troy! I'm pretty sure that the 600 needs to be sent off for cleaning after that shoot. All kinds of grit inside of the focus ring on the lens now hahah... small price to pay I guess for insuring you get the look and feel that you want from the photograph!

by Jared. Lloyd on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:29 pm
Jared. Lloyd
Forum Contributor
rajandesai wrote:Gotta love this one. Love the dreamy effect the OOF foreground creates.
I really had to get the lens right onto the ground in order to bring any sort of a foreground element into the composition. the lek that these grouse were using had little to nothing to use in order to create a sense of depth in terms of a foreground, middle ground, and background. Resting the lens right on the ground allowed me to use what little bit of roll there was to the topography to create this effect. On a ground pod the foreground effect was completely lost. 

Cheers
jared

6 posts |