Muddy Paws Muddy Snout

Posted by william bickle on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
[font=Times New Roman]Muddy Paws    Muddy Snout[/font]

[font=Times New Roman] [/font]
This female mother Grizzly Bear was raising Triplet Cubs. She was into the water and searching for food , then emerged with her feet and snout covered and caked in mud. The three cubs were very busy and came together only slightly and then off again investigating the surroundings. The cub shown here is giving me The-Eye, with white sclera showing. The tide was incoming fast and would soom cover this small island. Raing constantly with cloud cover , floating in Zodiac boat with the tide. The Captain had stepped over the side while waters were shallow to secure our vantage for a short while by stabilizing the Zodiac stationary . An Amazing encounter in Great Bear Rainforest of Northern BC Canada for about 45 minutes in total before the tide forced the bears to abandon the small island.

[font=Times New Roman]Nikon D600, Nikon 200-400 VR F4 lens @ 400mm, F5.6, 1/160, ISO 2000,[/font]
[font=Times New Roman] One pass NR, Handheld, in floating zodiac boat, VR active, -.67 Meter compensation, FULL FRAME (No crop)[/font]

Comments appreciated

Bill
[font=Times New Roman]www.BillBickle.com[/font]

PS... Larger Version shows excellent detail.

Posted by:
william bickle
Forum Contributor

by Ed Cordes on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:31 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Wonderful detail with nice dark BG. Mom's expression is priceless!
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Carol Clarke on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:37 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I appreciate you were faced with overcast and rainy conditions here Bill but for my personal preference I wish the image was just a touch lighter. That said, I do acknowledge your shot as a beautifully detailed study of this sow and her cubs. Well done!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by william bickle on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:20 am
william bickle
Forum Contributor
Hello,... Thanks for taking time to comment! :)

The Great Bear Rainforest of northern BC Canada in October is a true Rainforest with 24/7 rain and sometimes higher winds, the temperature above freezing mostly, cloud cover constantly , this makes for a dark environment mostly! I attempt to offer up my images as closely to the actual circumstances including dark environment, with this interpretation I feel my images reveal the mood and actual feel when captured! Maybe too dark for some people ? During this short photo opportunity and session (about 45 minutes) I used different settings from slower shutter speeds, aperture variations, to achieve the very best iso setting and still retain the mood and subject motion etc. We were inside a small zodiac boat , drifting with the strong incoming tide and having to constantly move and adjust while fighting the tide, as the tide flowed in and eventually became too deep to be held stationary by the very cold footed Captain.

Thanks

Bill
www.Billbickle.com

by Cindy Marple on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:18 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
This is better viewed against the dark background where the detail stands out more and the overall image has the appearance of being a little brighter than when viewed against the white. My taste would be also to go just a bit lighter but I understand your point. The expressions you captured here are just wonderful and make the shot for me.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by william bickle on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:11 pm
william bickle
Forum Contributor
Hello Cindy... Great to get your input and feedback on this image ! :)

I have recently completed a 4 month showing of 30 of my images at a beautiful museum venue. This image was printed and displayed during that time and received some of highest praises. The print is 24 x 36" on stretched canvas showed off beautifully. I think printing it this size has slightly lightened it overall when observed at the Museum lighting!

Thanks

Bill
www.Billbickle.com

by WOlf38 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:30 am
WOlf38
Forum Contributor
Beautiful image, William!
great details and love the female's expression!

Wolf

by Missy Mandel on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:50 am
Missy Mandel
Forum Contributor
Member #:01973
Bill, this was captured beautifully. The detail is wonderful and I don't mind the dark tones at all. If it were mine (and I wish it was :) I would try and lighten mama's eyes a touch
Missy Mandel
Toronto, Canada
Comments and critiques welcomed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/missymandel/
www.missymandel.ca
Instagram missymandel_photography

by Nate Chappell on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:34 pm
Nate Chappell
Forum Contributor
Member #:00835
Such a great relaxed pose from mum bear that makes the shot for me Bill!
Nate Chappell
Texas and Ecuador

Birds and Wildlife photo workshops and tours

9 posts |