California Sea Lion in Marsh

Posted by RickEvansTheThird on Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:11 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
I was at one of my favorite estuaries looking for ducks and grebes to photograph one morning. I had heard some pretty big splashes and a sound similar to a dolphin clearing its blowhole coming from deeper in the reeds. Turns out it was a sea lion who crossed the beach and got into the marsh. He was a little too far away to get a good shot that morning. So I came back a couple days later with my waders so I could get down in the water with him. I really didn't even know if he'd be there again. I was in the water at dawn and waited about an hour and a half after sunrise, and sure enough, he showed up again. He didn't get his head up above the water very often. This was the best shot I got that day. He swam in pretty close to me, probably to check me out a bit. I think he discovered the river has crayfish, but so far he seems to be the only one in the area who takes advantage of the opportunity. Pretty cool encounter.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6

ISO-500 1/800 @ f/11

Image for discussion purpose only.
Remain Wild,
Rick Evans

Posted by:
RickEvansTheThird
Forum Contributor

by junctionbutte on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:44 am
junctionbutte
Lifetime Member
Member #:01020
A pretty cool encounter indeed Rick. Composition is a challenge with a shot like this - you don't want your subject too entered, but pushing the seal out to the edge is equally problematic. I would lean towards a entered subject to start with and maybe crop the image a bit to create the best composition possible.
Doug Dance www.ddancenaturephotography.com

by Carol Clarke on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:01 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
An interesting record shot of this sea lion extending his hunting ground Rick!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

3 posts |