The largest spread of horns in a bovine

Posted by Pralay Lahiry on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:47 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
The Wild Water Buffalo has the largest spread of horns in a living bovid and uses it with quite a devastating effect when needed and also when not needed as in my case. 
Me and my friend had crossed a barbed wire fence separating a patch of paddy field from the grasslands in Dibru Saikhowa National Park, India in search of a particular species of bird found in only that patch of grassland. As soon as we crossed into the thick grass we heard the approaching storm.... the heavy sound of a buff steamrolling the grass. My friend, being more agile, leapt over the barbed wire but I, being less navigable,  had to leave my trousers and some bits and pieces of me entangled in the wire.... not the most dignified of retreats but I evaded contact with the horns and also had kept my underwear on, unsullied..

D7000 + AFS Nikkor 80-400 VR II ; 1/500 ; f/5.6 ; ISO 200

http://mywildindia.com/

Posted by:
Pralay Lahiry
Forum Contributor

by Gene Gwin on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:14 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Great photo and story. I'm from Texas, so we always think everything is bigger here. From just looking at the Water Buffalo, it seems that the horns of a Texas Longhorn is wider, substantially wider. Maybe a Longhorn is not a Bovine?

by Pralay Lahiry on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:48 am
Pralay Lahiry
Forum Contributor
Thanks Gene.... well... from the Himalayas to some of the biggest cats and mammals... we too do have a few biggies on this side of the world :D The one photographed here is a female whose horn size is considerably smaller... the males do have horns much larger than this. Well this is what wiki says about the size of the horns of bovines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_water_buffalo

by Gene Gwin on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:25 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
I bet you're right. Nice photo.

by Cindy Marple on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:43 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Well at least you got the photo :)
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Carol Clarke on Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:28 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Normally there isn't much to choose between the two species, but the world record is held by a Texas Longhorn steer with horns of 9ft 1inch! - see the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ralia.html
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by david fletcher on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:44 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
fantastic story.. first contact could have been a bit pointed! excellent shot btw
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

7 posts |