Black Bears Galore

Posted by Brent R Paull on Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:14 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
Nikon D7200 body, Nikon 500mm f4 lens, ISO 400, 1/500 at f5.6, Induro Tripod, raw converted to jpg in CS6.

These past two months I've done 11 photo safari days into Sequoia NP in California photographing dozens and dozens of bears.  But this particular black sow and her two black cubs have been the best subjects almost every time.

Here one of the cubs (the other cub's foot is just above and right of this cubs head) stands on a moss covered pine branch next to a sequoia tree and watches as it's mother begins to graze in the meadow below.  This particular pine was used often by this sow, and a cinnamon sow with two cubs, making it the meadow motel for black bear cubs when their mom's were busy foraging.
Brent Russell Paull // American West Photo Safaris
http://www.amwestphoto.com 

Posted by:
Brent R Paull
Forum Contributor

by stevenmajor on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:48 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
I like everything about it but the lighting...kind of harsh, to much contrast?, over sharpened?
I have seen improvements from layering two different treatments of the same raw file to gain shadow detail (cub face)...maybe that could assist this wonderful image.
Thank You

by SMB on Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:36 am
SMB
Forum Contributor
Love the pose and the look. Agree about the harshness of the exposure. The cub is wet, but if it can be softened some I think it would be an even better image.
Small point would be the extraneous foot in the upper right.
Stan

3 posts |