Last Light Bullmoose

Posted by Mark Picard on Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:34 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
My first decent sized bull this year. Lucky for me being in the right place at the right time while he strolled through this last light spot. Less tham five minutes later this spot was in complete dark shadow.

D7100, 80-400mm, F7.1 @ 1/640th sec., ISO 1000
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

Posted by:
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor

by stevenmajor on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:51 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Very Nice.
On a related topic, if I may inquire....whats your black fly defense? I was on the coast 2 weeks ago and they rearrange every second of every day. For the uninitiated it can be freaking unbelievable and is the accepted reason for most car/moose collisions (the escape from the flys are the highways).
I wore the net hat thing that works for the flys, but looking through screening leaves me partially blind, like being in fog.
Got a secret?

by Gary Briney on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:48 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Very nice golden hour shot -- I like the mid-stride pose.
G. Briney

by Cindy Marple on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:21 pm
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
Very pretty light. The raised foot is a nice touch. Timing is everything.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Carol Clarke on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:31 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Right place, right time Mark! Nice view of this high stepping bull caught in the fleeting spotlight.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Mark Picard on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:33 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
stevenmajor wrote:Very Nice.
On a related topic, if I may inquire....whats your black fly defense? I was on the coast 2 weeks ago and they rearrange every second of every day. For the uninitiated it can be freaking unbelievable and is the accepted reason for most car/moose collisions (the escape from the flys are the highways).
I wore the net hat thing that works for the flys, but looking through screening leaves me partially blind, like being in fog.
Got a secret?
Yeah, and inland in the North Woods they're even worse Steve! I use a coveted bug jacket that is no longer made (originally came from L.L. Bean) that has a drawstring hood. All of the currently available bug jackets with a hood have a zip up across the front instead of the drawstring, (draw string is MUCH better for photographing}. When I'm shooting I open up the hood just enough to see out of it, and I then protect the exposed skin with one of those commercially available towelettes soaked in various amounts of DEET. For my hands I use a pair of cheap ($1) cotton gardening gloves where I then cut off the finger tips for camera operation, similar to what you would do in the Winter to keep your hands warm while having good contact with your camera controls. Black Flies cannot bite through even the thinnest of clothing, so I wear long pants and long sleeved shirts made of the fast drying nylon type which has a tight thread count that even Mosquitoes can't penetrate. The Black Flies like me, and I welt up from the bites for a couple of days while scratching the bites because they're very itchy too! So you see why I like to stay protected from those buggers! :)  Oh yeah, Steve, make sure the netting that's in front of your face is either already black, or paint it black - that makes a huge difference in getting rid of that "foggy" look you referred to.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

6 posts |