Last Light

Posted by bradjames on Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:29 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
After a brief but wonderful encounter with a young bull moose(I will post images of him later) only 15mins outside of Terrenceville, NL we pulled onto the main road into town. My eyes were now wide open for Caribou signs as they are often seen along the main road..before the thought even reach all parts of my brain there they were..three stags resting on the barrens as the sun slowly approached the golden hour. Keeping my cool I continued on to our destination knowing that my family was tired and hungry from the drive. I pulled into Jenelle's parents house and in 5mins flat I had the vehicle unpacked, hello's said to her parents, clothes changed into camo gear and off I went.
The 10 min drive back to where I spotted the caribou felt like an hour and my belly was taking to me...my daughters chocolate chip cookie was sitting on the dash taunting me..I admit it went down good :)..sorry Lily. 
I pulled off to the side of the road and was happy to see the three stags still resting. The wind wasn't fully in my favor (cross wind) since its best to approach such animals down wind..one whiff of a human and these guys go running...good luck keeping up with them.
Imagine yourself trying to approach a caribou on a football field...well that's basically what this was like..open barrens with very few places for me to conceal my movements. 
I made a slow, very low approach trying my best to position myself where the sun was at my back or at least some sort of side light on the caribou. 
By this point the caribou had gotten up and began eating. Occasionally they smelled the air and it was obvious they were aware of my presence but certainly not spooked at all. One of the larger males began walking up a ridge and paused to look back allowing me to capture this moment...

Nikon D7100, 500mmF4 plus Tele 1.4x @ 700mm, ISO400, F7.1, 1/640s
Please visit my website at www.bradjameswildlifephotography.com

Posted by:
bradjames
Forum Contributor

by Matthew Pugh on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:49 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

A lovely image and I enjoyed your narrative too!

You owe a new pack of biscuits though (LOL)

All the best
Matthew

by john on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:51 am
john
Lifetime Member
Member #:00404
Nice Boo! I'm surprised how light it is.

3 posts |