Zebra sunset shower.

Posted by Marc on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:13 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
I was fortunate to have this zebra's attention against the backdrop of a beautiful sweeping sunset shower that only the Serengeti/Mara can deliver.
Showing here the versality of a 500 prime :wink: .

Ndutu/Serengeti- Northern Tanzania.

D4s 500 f/4 VR 1/3200s f/5.6 ISO -.67 EV. Bean bag from front pax seat. F/F, Curves, levels, mid tone adj- TK masking, selective USM, in ACR/PS CC '14.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc
MarcMol.com    FACEBOOK    500px 

Posted by:
Marc
Forum Contributor

by Gary Briney on Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:41 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Wow Marc -- incredible sky! Maybe a slightly lower camera position to put the zebra a little higher in the frame would have been good, but I love it as presented.
G. Briney

by pleverington on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:27 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Nice one Marc. Gary I think made a good point and I would add  that I wish the storms was more in focus. You certainly had plenty of f stop and speed at 1/3200 and f5.6 for just about any options there it looks like. A slight move on your part to the right might have been something too. But seriously that storm is just so powerfully interesting we need it bad to be sharper to feel it's power. And here by using so much canvas so as to be the main subject, the softness lets us down.

However...what I see that would work is to go back to the zebras the main and crop out and down quite a bit of the sky and then brighten up the zebras tones.You would have a pano more or less, the great storm is part of the show, but it is supporting to the zebra.

My thoughts FWIW ....

Paul

**You really got some great stuff from Africa on your site.  I haven't been through all of them but no. 129-130 from NDUTU & RUAHA NP Tanzania are awesome. I gotta ask-did you run out of buffer on that series? Or did the Cheetah stop chasing cause it seems like the next two frames would have been kick butt extreme. Love that one guy way up in the air. A wealth of good stuff there all together..... I like your black and whites too..
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by Marc on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:52 pm
Marc
Forum Contributor
pleverington wrote:Nice one Marc. Gary I think made a good point and I would add  that I wish the storms was more in focus. You certainly had plenty of f stop and speed at 1/3200 and f5.6 for just about any options there it looks like. A slight move on your part to the right might have been something too. But seriously that storm is just so powerfully interesting we need it bad to be sharper to feel it's power. And here by using so much canvas so as to be the main subject, the softness lets us down.

However...what I see that would work is to go back to the zebras the main and crop out and down quite a bit of the sky and then brighten up the zebras tones.You would have a pano more or less, the great storm is part of the show, but it is supporting to the zebra.

My thoughts FWIW ....

Paul
Thanks Paul, the DOF here was quite deliberate and wanted the softer sunset shower, I have a few @ f/16, but for me the impact is not as dramatic, IMO.

I was on the floor of the vehicle as it was, but yes, ideally would have loved more of the zebra above the horizon.

All subjective of course. :wink:

PS, Re #129/130, the takedown was behind a small ridge in a massive cloud of dust, so that's what's on those subsequent frames unfortunately.
MarcMol.com    FACEBOOK    500px 

by anupbunny on Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:29 pm
anupbunny
Forum Contributor
Class image here Marc

by david fletcher on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:08 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
this is awesome Marc! accepting the points made, this is lovely as presented. fab shot!
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Chris Kayler on Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:23 am
Chris Kayler
Forum Contributor
Beautiful image all around Marc.

by kiran on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:59 pm
kiran
Lifetime Member
Member #:01246
Lovely !
THE NATURE EXPLORER LLC.  Wildlife Safaris and Adventure Travel.  kiran@thenatureexplorer.com

by pleverington on Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:23 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Marc wrote:
pleverington wrote:Nice one Marc. Gary I think made a good point and I would add  that I wish the storms was more in focus. You certainly had plenty of f stop and speed at 1/3200 and f5.6 for just about any options there it looks like. A slight move on your part to the right might have been something too. But seriously that storm is just so powerfully interesting we need it bad to be sharper to feel it's power. And here by using so much canvas so as to be the main subject, the softness lets us down.

My thoughts FWIW ....

Paul
Thanks Paul, the DOF here was quite deliberate and wanted the softer sunset shower, I have a few @ f/16, but for me the impact is not as dramatic, IMO.

I was on the floor of the vehicle as it was, but yes, ideally would have loved more of the zebra above the horizon.

All subjective of course. :wink:

PS, Re #129/130, the takedown was behind a small ridge in a massive cloud of dust, so that's what's on those subsequent frames unfortunately.
I understand my friend. But oouuhhhhhh that storm is so hypnotic. I so wish I could really see it!!! Can't really see the zebra too well either...

Aw well guess i'm going to have to endure being a frustrated viewer...your such a tease!!!

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:38 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Love this!

by Gen Benjamin on Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:01 pm
Gen Benjamin
Forum Contributor
Gorgeous sky and I love the attention the Zebra is giving you